Feinwerkbau P8X

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
SamEEE

Feinwerkbau P8X

Post by SamEEE »

Image Image
SamEEE

Re: Feinwerkbau P8X

Post by SamEEE »

First hand experience from Igor of http://toz35.blogspot.co.at fame.
ruig wrote:I did a couple of shots in September 2015 with P8X Prototyp (some parts were 3D printed). Very good pistol. Big step forward for Feinwerkbau. It is not P44 facelift.

ruig wrote:
therider wrote:What improvement did you find? I was really disappointed for the rear sight.
Positive for me:
Main improvement - low impulse of recoil in the moment of a shot. Finally. Applause. 100% not worse than Steyr I would say.
I liked the center of a mass of the prototype. Hopefully it stays so but it can be difficult task since high-density polyethylene 1,05 kg/dm3 VS aluminium 2,7 kg/dm3.
I like Feinwerkbau quality and finish.
Trigger is OK.
Looks sexy.

Negative for me:
Rear and front sight rotation. Not interesting feature.
The grip with integrated angle settings-screws and all those small holes everywhere. Not interesting feature.
Dry/live fire switch. It is not a big problem but I prefer Steyr solution.

And some links from DeadeyeDick:
Image Image
kevinweiho

Post by kevinweiho »

No love for the P8X? I think it’s time for FWB to step up to the podium and start winning medals like they used to.

I could live with that grip with all those small holes as long as it fits my hand like a glove. Besides, the majority of shooters won’t be fiddling around with the grip once they set it to their personal preference.
j-team

Post by j-team »

The appearance of the P8X looks to be the result of too much CAD & CNC and too little eye for aesthetics.
dschaller

Post by dschaller »

When I flew to matches, I took the grip off and carried it in my carry-on bag. Not having to mess with repositioning the grip after I get where I was going would be a nice benefit. Also works if the grip is ever removed to work on the gun for any reason.
kevinweiho

Post by kevinweiho »

j-team wrote:The appearance of the P8X looks to be the result of too much CAD & CNC and too little eye for aesthetics.
You can’t blame them, German engineers have the knack for over-engineering their products.
SamEEE

Post by SamEEE »

j-team wrote:The appearance of the P8X looks to be the result of too much CAD & CNC and too little eye for aesthetics.
I get that vibe a little. But: I think it looks about a thousand times cooler than the P44 which looked rather uninspired and drab.

I think it kind of has that sleek look of the P34. The shroud cuts look like they would be a hassle to clean.

Thinking about the sight picture: is it the AW-93 sight once again?

This one will still be king for those with tiny hands: looks like it has a very shallow frame, and thin.
Image Image
ruig

Post by ruig »

https://youtu.be/sk6BpKEl9vY

If everything goes well... next week I prepare short overview
therider

Post by therider »

i shot the P8X for about an hour. I love the grip. Good fit out of the box. And i love the 6 screws, as they allowed me to fine adjust the front sight exactly in the middle of the rear sight.
I was about to order it....but then the seller convinced me to try the Steyr Evo mechanical..... just 10 shots were enough to remove P8X from my dreams! So I did not order the P8X anymore!
:-)

Don't get me wrong, it is a nice pistol, but the feel with the evo was for me much better.

I will give it a try again in the future.
ruig

Post by ruig »

So here we go... first infos from me...

http://toz35.blogspot.co.at/2016/06/fei ... -p-8x.html
ghostrip

Post by ghostrip »

welcome back igor :) nice review
Matthias

Post by Matthias »

Hi there,

I yesterday shot the P8x at my local gun shop.
So far, I can compare it to previous owned LP300, LP400 and my current LP10.

First feeling is, that it's longer than the LP10/LP400 but extremly well balanced.
Maybe a little bit light without weights, but that's depending on personal preference.

Trigger is outstanding smooth and absolutely competitive with Steyr.
The trigger shoe is very tiny. However I like it since you will always place your finger in the same place. (I had this problem with the big trigger on the LP10, fixed it with a piece of sandpaper).

The absorber works great, absolutely no bouncing or any sign of "recoil", your sights will remain absolutely on the same place during the shot.

Sights are nice and clean, compareable with the sights on the LP400.
What I didn't like is the front sight. It's very narrow and you have to buy a new one to change it, other then the front sights like the LP400, which you can turn to adjust the wide.

Loading is ok, there's a hutch (?) to place the pellet, very simple.
I encountered that the loading lever was a little scratchy, but I don't know if it was related to the grip adjustment (doing some extrem positioning of the grip leads to disfunction of the loading lever).

The grip is cool, fitted my hand well. (glove size 8.5 - grip size M).
The adjustment of the grip is pretty new.
You can tilt and turn the grip by just unscrewing the main screw (on the bottom) a bit and then adjust the directions by using 6 different grub screws in the grip from the outside.
It's a little bit tricky to understand the interaction of the six screws but works very well.
Only problem I see is, that you have to spare out the holes for the screws when fitting the grip with wood paste or something like that.

Conclusion:
I think it's a very good pistol with potential to win some medals.
Overall it doesn't feel that solid as a Steyr LP10 (that is build like a tank), but manufactured with outstanding precision and a very nice quality (it just feels lighter then the LP10).
Shooting it was fun and felt good.
If I'm going to buy it? Don't know yet.
If I hadn't bought the LP10 only a year ago I would not wait and can also recommend everyone to test it.
Last edited by Matthias on Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
hundert

Post by hundert »

thanks for reviews guys and pictures, Igor,

the breech lever area looks very well done!!!

With my LP10e I can also adjust the grip to the point where I can't cock the lever any more. If you angle your barrel to the right inside the grip, you'd also need a quarter turn of the two screws that are on the left side of the pistol, to lift the left side a bit, that way the lever no longer touches the grip and can be cocked again.

This would probably also be the place to say that I hate the trigger of 10e, it's a roll trigger, it always moves when you push and that throws me off. The results at World Cups speak otherwise (and the last Olympics was won with the "E"), but I personally don't like it.

Any comment on how it's on P8X? I prefer triggers like LP10, where the second stage doesn't move at all, as if pushing against a wall. Actually the most perfect trigger would be the one that slightly moves in the opposite direction of you pushing it, to compensate for your skin and flesh contracting between the trigger and the bone. As the flesh contracts, I feel the grip strength/consistency changing, because the finger moves and at 500g, it's impossible to isolate it completely. That would be the best trigger ever.
Matthias

Post by Matthias »

The P8x trigger is completely dry, no movement at all where you don't want it.

If you like your LP10 E except the trigger, try the LP10E EVO!
The trigger housing is now made from aluminium and not plastic anymore, also it has a gold contact instead of a micro switch - that solves all the problems of the old trigger.
therider

Post by therider »

Matthias wrote:The P8x trigger is completely dry, no movement at all where you don't want it.

If you like your LP10 E except the trigger, try the LP10E EVO!
The trigger housing is now made from aluminium and not plastic anymore, also it has a gold contact instead of a micro switch - that solves all the problems of the old trigger.
True, it is better than LP10E, however with the particular pistol I have tried, there is something moving in the second stage.... don't understand what that is. To try to describe it, i would say it is in between morini 162ei and lp10e. I am happy to feel the microswitch of 162ei, not at all that of lp10e. Evo? Don't know as yet....i need to try it a bit more.
j-team

Post by j-team »

hundert wrote:
This would probably also be the place to say that I hate the trigger of 10e, it's a roll trigger, it always moves when you push and that throws me off. The results at World Cups speak otherwise (and the last Olympics was won with the "E"), but I personally don't like it.
You can adjust that out. You need to remove the trigger unit from the pistol though, it's the tiny screw in the top next to the micro switch. It's very sensitive and only needs a small amount of a turn to make a difference see here from 0.55 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvIa2bea0iQ
zanemoseley

Post by zanemoseley »

I'm surprised they made the trigger guard out of plastic. At this price point I don't want to see really any plastic components unless absolutely necessary and I don't see this to be necessary, simply cost savings.
therider

Post by therider »

zanemoseley wrote:I'm surprised they made the trigger guard out of plastic. At this price point I don't want to see really any plastic components unless absolutely necessary and I don't see this to be necessary, simply cost savings.
It is a matter of weight! Good that they did it.
Matthias

Post by Matthias »

Why not plastic?
It's not a part that has to take much mechanical forces and as therider said it leads to saving weight.

Also it doesn't feel cheap at all, i had to look and feel twice to get sure it's not aluminum.
nick marshall

Post by nick marshall »

zanemoseley wrote:I'm surprised they made the trigger guard out of plastic. At this price point I don't want to see really any plastic components unless absolutely necessary and I don't see this to be necessary, simply cost savings.
Doesn't worry me that it's plastic.
Morini 162ei Titan has plastic trigger guard.
That's good enough for the world champion.

My left handed P8X arrives in a few days time. looking forward to shooting it.
Perhaps I might do a comparison. Also own an Evo 10, Pardini K12 junior and a couple of new Morini 162 ei. Something will have to go.