Steyr Sport Evo10 and Evo10E

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
ruig

Re: Steyr Sport Evo10 and Evo10E

Post by ruig »

I did a couple of shots in September 2015 with P8X Prototyp (some parts were 3D printed). Very good pistol. Big step forward for Feinwerkbau. It is not P44 facelift.
therider

Post by therider »

What improvement did you find? I was really disappointed for the rear sight.
ruig

Post by ruig »

therider wrote:What improvement did you find? I was really disappointed for the rear sight.
Positive for me:
Main improvement - low impulse of recoil in the moment of a shot. Finally. Applause. 100% not worse than Steyr I would say.
I liked the center of a mass of the prototype. Hopefully it stays so but it can be difficult task since high-density polyethylene 1,05 kg/dm3 VS aluminium 2,7 kg/dm3.
I like Feinwerkbau quality and finish.
Trigger is OK.
Looks sexy.

Negative for me:
Rear and front sight rotation. Not interesting feature.
The grip with integrated angle settings-screws and all those small holes everywhere. Not interesting feature.
Dry/live fire switch. It is not a big problem but I prefer Steyr solution.
therider

Post by therider »

FWB mechanical trigger is really good, I like it a lot. Apparently the have not changed that. I found the recoil absorber of p44 better than Steyr, so I imagine that the new one must be better, and you confirm this.

I personally cannot stand sights which are not horizontal...but I wonder whether one should correct the grip, rather than rotate the sights.
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

Any news as to whether it will be in compact as well as long ?
flolo

Post by flolo »

is this going to be a HSG- discussion?;-)
argus

Post by argus »

J R wrote:Any information if old LP10E air pistols can be upgraded with the new trigger?

Although I must say that I do not like the idea of a lithium battery. They start to degrade right after being manufactured and degrade faster if kept at full charge. Would much rather have a standardized primary cell on a pistol than non-standardized size soft shell lithium battery.
I have to agree with JR on the battery, I also would have preferred the ability to use a standardized primary cell rather than being locked into what will likely be a high priced consumable.
I'm not really a fan of the new styling yet either but I guess you would need to see it in the flesh to really decide.
I am quite interested to feel / learn the workings of the new gold contact microswitch free trigger.
Judging only by comparing therider's photos to my LP10E it looks like might be possible to install the new trigger into the old frame but when you consider the cost of a new trigger assembly, electronic module, grip and grip locking rod it won't be a cheap upgrade, especially for those of us not in Europe.
flolo

Post by flolo »

sell the old one and get a new one, the difference might be less than upgrading...
SamEEE

Post by SamEEE »

Can a brother please get some pictures of the Feinwerkbau P8X?
Image Image
therider

Post by therider »

argus wrote:
J R wrote:Any information if old LP10E air pistols can be upgraded with the new trigger?

Although I must say that I do not like the idea of a lithium battery. They start to degrade right after being manufactured and degrade faster if kept at full charge. Would much rather have a standardized primary cell on a pistol than non-standardized size soft shell lithium battery.
I have to agree with JR on the battery, I also would have preferred the ability to use a standardized primary cell.
I agree, but this was clearly not a free choice for them. Their electronic card is about the same size of Matchguns, however they needed also to reduce thickens, to make the housing less deep. So the only choice was lithium. The A23 in the MG is small, still the diameter is about twice as thick as the evo10 lithium battery.
kevinweiho

Post by kevinweiho »

therider wrote:By the way FWB has also an artistic shroud over the barrel, much more than evo 10
I have a gut feeling that FWB got the inspiration from the barrel/cylinder holder from their 800x air rifle. Steyr also seems to be influenced by their Challenge model. See the resemblances? Kinda makes me wonder if both parties were spying on each other and launching their two new models on the same time frame?
Attachments
FWB 800X.jpg
FWB 800X.jpg (29.92 KiB) Viewed 5655 times
Steyr-Challenge-E-Bench-Rest-Gerade.jpg
Steyr-Challenge-E-Bench-Rest-Gerade.jpg (26.15 KiB) Viewed 5658 times
Last edited by kevinweiho on Sun Mar 06, 2016 4:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
ghostrip

Post by ghostrip »

These soft li ion batteries are not very costly and in theory if they are used with care they can last many years of intensive training. They are used heavily now in drones and diy electronics and for the small ones price should be around 10-15 euros. It is more of a problem to find good quality and somewhere to buy one with the correct connectors. In Greece the battery of the 84e costs also around 12 euros. The a23 is of course as cheap as aaa batteries.

This is the spark fun link for the ssp-e battery https://www.sparkfun.com/products/731
It is same type but not from the same company walther uses.
J R

Post by J R »

Surely a primary cell could have been fitted, but it would probably have taken more of a revolution than evolution in design.

My concern is that usable life of these air pistols is hopefully measured in decades, not in years. Lithium batteries have shelf life so one can not really buy replacement batteries in advance when suitable batteries are available. Will one be able to find suitable replacement battery after 10-15 years, or is current li-ion chemistry then already a thing of the past?
In this application I guess that most degradation in battery capacity comes from keeping it fully charged rather than from (discharge-charge) cycling it. Or it could be that the battery is never fully charged by the electronic module which potentially could greatly prolong battery service life.

Personally I use LP10E with XS size grip and according to my non-expert opinion material thickness in key places is very small in grip of this size, so small that I do not dare to bring my dremel close to it. One problem with it is the radius around little finger, it could be smaller. The new electronic module could address that issue.
Another issue is the grip profile between thumb and trigger finger, which in XS grip resembles a rectangle with rounded edges. This profile is not that comfortable and can even cause pain if held too long. The new pistol design does not seem address this issue. I assume pistol frame is still 19mm wide and loading lever adds another ~4mm.
Maybe there is an improvement in the new XS size grip design because the trigger blade can be moved further back, but I am not willing to buy one to just test this theory.
I believe that a design like MGH1 could be much better for persons with small hands, if one wants an electronic trigger for some reason.
Leon

Post by Leon »

Will the Evo10 and Evo10E replace the current LP10 and LP10E in the model range? Or sit above them in the range?
kevinweiho

Post by kevinweiho »

Leon wrote:Will the Evo10 and Evo10E replace the current LP10 and LP10E in the model range? Or sit above them in the range?
It really depends on how customers accept the new upgrades and the sales volume of these Evo pistols.

I have the LP10 and the only upgrades I see are:

1. Redesigned loading area.
2. Enlarged trigger guard.
3. Rotable front and rear sights.
4. Improved adjustment of rear sight depth.
5. Steel parts black chrome plated.
6. New barrel shroud
7. New generation of grips.

I am still happy with my LP10 and I don't see myself changing my workhorse anytime soon.
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

A reliable source suggested to me that production of the LP10 has already stopped and that the EVO10 is now their new flagship.
Unless a dealer has some LP10's in stock there may be no more, however sometimes rumours are not reliable and this may not prove to be true.

The seven improvements that Kevin mentiond would certainly be enough for me to go for the evo10 over an LP10.

If I were a betting man my guess would be that unless they discontinue the LP2, it will be EVO10 as flagship and LP2 as economy. However another possibility is EVO 10 and LP10.

The next update may be called EVO11
Frenzy81

Post by Frenzy81 »

Do you know if the EVO10e has the option of setting the trigger stop now?

That has kept me from buying an LP10e, I'm still keeping my LP10 mechanical trigger.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Frenzy81 wrote:Do you know if the EVO10e has the option of setting the trigger stop now?

That has kept me from buying an LP10e, I'm still keeping my LP10 mechanical trigger.
It's obviously a matter of personal preference but I can't see the point of a trigger stop on an electronic trigger.

The normal reason for a trigger stop is to limit the trigger travel when it goes lighter after it has gone off (normally a reduction of 50-100g on a mechanical AP trigger). That is obviously not a problem on an electronic trigger as it doesn't go lighter.
DFWdude

Post by DFWdude »

kevinweiho wrote:
Leon wrote:Will the Evo10 and Evo10E replace the current LP10 and LP10E in the model range? Or sit above them in the range?
It really depends on how customers accept the new upgrades and the sales volume of these Evo pistols.

I have the LP10 and the only upgrades I see are:

1. Redesigned loading area.
2. Enlarged trigger guard.
3. Rotable front and rear sights.
4. Improved adjustment of rear sight depth.
5. Steel parts black chrome plated.
6. New barrel shroud
7. New generation of grips.

I am still happy with my LP10 and I don't see myself changing my workhorse anytime soon.
Slightly baffled by Item #5. I'd much prefer to cant the grip if needed, than rotate the sights. At least with canting the grip, the sights and barrel axis remain vertically aligned. But, on a TECHNICAL level, rotating the sights displaces the barrel axis to the right (for a RH shooter), if ever so slightly.

Not measurable at 10m within the circular error of probability of MY shooting hold, of course. And easy to compensate with sight adjustments (although instead of simple vertical/horizontal adjustments, it will now be a more complex, geometric exercise, involving angles).

It just seems Steyr have chosen to replace a simple system of grip canting via screwhead frame adjustments (although admittedly fiddly) with a more complicated set of rotatable sights... to accomplish the same thing.

Just a techno-weenie comment.

The ridiculous extreme example is the Mythbusters segment showing how useless the horizontal "Gangsta" hold is.