Why We Love Guns - In One Photo

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Bob Smalser

Why We Love Guns - In One Photo

Post by Bob Smalser »

Breaking the bonds of economic enslavement in the industrial German Ruhr for the wilds of an Illinois homestead, in-law Philip Schoenholz was so happy he included his new bird gun and hunting pouch in this ca1860 portrait. Because unless you were a rural Forstmeister, only aristocrats owned guns and hunted game in Germany then, and from his matted hair, his winded look, and the facial expression of his other love, Elizabetha, he had to be dragged in from the fields by his adult sons for the portrait. ;)
Bob
Rover

Re: Why We Love Guns - In One Photo

Post by Rover »

Did they retouch out her beard?
redschietti

Post by redschietti »

Still to this day most of the farmers in illinois are german
FrankD

Post by FrankD »

Is this rifle a so called 'Stutzen' or 'Stutzer'? It looks a little like a 'Drilling' but i'm not sure if this kind of hunting rifle was yet invented at that time. I'm not really good when it comes to rifle history.

Regards from Germany

Frank - Grandpa was a forest ranger in Masuren, East Prussia
RandomShotz

Post by RandomShotz »

I don't know when drillings originated, but the cylindrical bit under the double barrel is probably the ramrod. This shotgun is a front loader if the date is correct.