Swiss Tanner project rifle ???

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

daotoys1

Swiss Tanner project rifle ???

Post by daotoys1 »

I have a Swiss made Andrea Tanner rifle less the stock ( complete receiver, barrel, trigger assembly ).

Im thinking of possibly making a free rifle project out of this. I could of course get a genuine Tanner stock for the project directly from Tanner in Switzerland , and this is what I had originally thought of doing.

But now that I think about it, I have the option of making my own hybrid by using someone else's stock with the Tanner receiver/ barrel/ trigger.

My question is simply this :

What adjustable free rifle stocks would members recommend I try ?

I almost forgot to mention that the Andre Tanner 22 LR assembly I have is a single shot 50 meter free rifle assembly model 90.

Thanks for any suggestions

DAO
:)
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

Personally I like the System Gemini stocks. However given that the fit, feel, and balance of the stock is very important, I think it might be better to look over what is available*, and then make a more informed choice. It would also be worthwhile checking with the manufactuers whether the Tanner action will fit.

*System Gemini, Anschutz Precise, MEC, Grunig& Elmiger, Walther anatomic, Keppeler, Tesro, and others.
Last edited by Tim S on Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rover

Post by Rover »

I haven't messed with rifles except when I shot bench rest some years ago.

I would look for the stock that perfectly suited me. Then hog out and glue in, pillar bedding if you prefer.

Pretty don't count.
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

Rover,

that would not be such an easy option for aluminium stocks, which many modern Free rifle stocks are . The Anschutz 1913/2013, the Walther Anatomic, and Vaclav Harman's stock (sorry But I can't remember the name), are the only wooden stocks that I can think of. Aluminium stocks are normally milled to fit a specific action, or an adaptor block is used. I'm led to beleive that bedding alu stocks is possible, but apparently difficult, and so it is rarely done. This is anyway skim bedding the correct action, rather than accomodating another.
Last edited by Tim S on Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ulrich Eichstädt

Post by Ulrich Eichstädt »

Look also at MEC's Mark I stocks, which are very popular not only in europe:

http://www.mec-shot.de/en/products/mark-i-stocks/

They were designed by Maik Eckhardt and Heinz Reinkemeier (also done the Anatomic stock) and they can on order be delivered for all popular actions, if you deliver these info:

Information needed from the customer/dealer:
http://www.mec-shot.de/en/products/mark ... on-ii-agl/

Article number: 6600+Typ
Barrel diameter
Stock and Systeme
Pull of the stock: 155 mm oder 180 mm
Butt plate length adjustment: 120 mm oder 140 mm
Cheek piece: right or left, off-hand or supported shooting
Grip: reight or left, Size: S, M, L
Color: whole stock, bridge and couple

---------------------------------------------

Maik himself shoots with the rotation system since approx two years, up to 1170+ in 3 x 40 and 598 prone.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Fiberglass?
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

Rover wrote:Fiberglass?
Not in a Free rifle stock. A US conventional Prone stock maybe, but fibreglass didn't seem to catch on for Free rifles. This was probably because aluminium stocks came on the scene in the '90s.
daotoys1

Post by daotoys1 »

I talked with Tanner Switzerland and they will make me a original hardwood stock for my Tanner action/ barrel and trigger group.

All I need do is send them the guns SS # and then order the stock design that I want.

So my options have expanded to include the possibility of getting an original Tanner stock if I so desire. This would essentially give me another Andre Tanner rifle that would be 100% pure Tanner.

Im not completely sold on this idea however. Im thinking that making a Swiss frankenstein gun might be a lot of fun ( and a lot of hard work and money too Im sure).

How does a state of the art all aluminum or carbon fiber G&E stock with Andre Tanner action, barrel and trigger sound :)

DAO

Im still researching

:)
rapidfireXring

Re: Swiss Tanner project rifle ???

Post by rapidfireXring »

Funny for me to find this post.....I have a similar, but not entirely, conundrum. I have a very early 1980's Tanner with that clunky stock and the funky set trigger. I know that Tanner "rebuilds" their own rifles and has both new sights and triggers. That one is a single shot.

On this particular rifle the sights are terrible, and the trigger is not something that will be workable in this day. I just shudder at their expensive options. The "newer" rifles look very modern and 'space aged', but no one wants to admit how much they spent on the upgrade.

I have another Tanner rifle that is more modern than the aforementioned. It is a repeater that uses magazines and I bought it without any magazine(s). A contact with Tanner informed me that they could supply magazines for 225 Swiss Francs each. that is about $250.00 each. Why at that price I asked for two just to see if I would receive magazines that were 18K or 24k gold plated.