free pistol trigger release

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Muffo

free pistol trigger release

Post by Muffo »

Does anyone use the bump method or variants of for setting the trigger off in free pistol. I was at the range today and previously I had been talking to someone and I had said it's interesting how skanaker has used the bump method so well but no body that I know of uses it anymore. I decided to have a play around doing something similar by doing trigger flexes just varying the weight back and forth and at some point the shot would go off. The results were both good and bad. I found I had a better group but every now and then if I started a bit strong and the shot went off as soon as I started applying pressure then the shot would go extremely high left. They fell into a group of 5s to 3s at 2 o'clock.

Ok I can't get my phone to upload target pic
conradin

Post by conradin »

Would you be able to tell me how the bump method work? I am interested in learning it. My trigger weight is feather light.
Muffo

Post by Muffo »

It was used with a very light trigger. Instead of squeezing the trigger you move your finger backwards and forwards not touching the trigger. At some point your finger will bump into the trigger and set it off. In its traditional form it was used with the trigger so light you would set it off before you felt it. Skanaker is the only one that I know that used it well but there may have been others
sagara wimaladharma

free pistol

Post by sagara wimaladharma »

Dear friends,
I am pretty sure Aleksandr Melentyev also used the same method when he set the world record in 1980. actually I am trying to apply the same thing these days. but it is quit difficult with my upper loading TOZ.

Rgds
Sagara
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

I believe that method is really only of benefit to people who haven't got a good trigger control. It's an attempt to simulate a subconscious shot release so rather than simulate it, you're better off training to do it 'properly'

Rob.
Muffo

Post by Muffo »

That is possibly what it was designed foe but Skanaker won world championships in both air and standard to his trigger control must have been pretty good
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

Muffo wrote:That is possibly what it was designed foe but Skanaker won world championships in both air and standard to his trigger control must have been pretty good
Skanaker was always a very individual shooter and shot in an unorthodox manner. Just because he won lots of stuff, doesn't mean he did everything right.

And also who's to say what triggering method he used ? I don't recall seeing any mention of that method is his book.

Rob.
Muffo

Post by Muffo »

RobStubbs wrote:
Muffo wrote:That is possibly what it was designed foe but Skanaker won world championships in both air and standard to his trigger control must have been pretty good
Skanaker was always a very individual shooter and shot in an unorthodox manner. Just because he won lots of stuff, doesn't mean he did everything right.

And also who's to say what triggering method he used ? I don't recall seeing any mention of that method is his book.

Rob.
I do that's the first place I had heard of it. I have also seen him using it. Look up some of the old Olympic free pistol finalls and you can see it in action. I'm not saying it is the best or everyone would do it, I'm just interested
Muffo

Post by Muffo »

YouTube. Freepistol barcelona 1992 and go to about 8.10 eve seen side on shots as well that show it better but don't have the time to find them
David N

Post by David N »

Last edited by David N on Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
conradin

Post by conradin »

You mean after you have fine aim, then you just move your trigger finger back and forth inside the guard and eventually it will touch the trigger?
David N

Post by David N »

Last edited by David N on Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
conradin

Post by conradin »

Thank you, I actually will now try it the next time I am in the range. My two FPs are set at 5 grams and 15 grams. I think the idea of moving the trigger finger is that if it is stationary until the moment you need to fire, then there may be a potential of jerking. If the finger is already moving, then it is just a matter of pulling back a little back more when you are ready.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

conradin wrote:Thank you, I actually will now try it the next time I am in the range. My two FPs are set at 5 grams and 15 grams. I think the idea of moving the trigger finger is that if it is stationary until the moment you need to fire, then there may be a potential of jerking. If the finger is already moving, then it is just a matter of pulling back a little back more when you are ready.
The more movement there is, the more chance there is that that movement will be in the wrong direction. Excessive movement of the trigger finger may also be more likely to induce a sideways movement of the gun, and a less stable hold.

Feel free to try it, but dont be suprised if you get poorer results, especially in competitions with it.

Rob.
Muffo

Re: free pistol trigger release

Post by Muffo »

David N wrote:
Muffo wrote:...I had said it's interesting how skanaker has used the bump method so well but no body that I know of uses it anymore.
“Sportliches Pistolen-schießen, Ragnar Skanaker, Laslo Antal, 4.aktualisierte und erweiterte Auflage 2001” pages 93 to 95 is possibly where you found it? Between the description of the basics of this triggering technique and the description of Skanåker is a story from the olympics in Montreal 1976. Soviet shooter Dr. Papava used this technique and he was shooting constantly above 570 in traning. But when competition day arrived, his coordination “broke down” because of the pressure from the competition, and he shot a “very bad” 548. “He was never seen again in international competitions ever since”. The author(s) concluded that the technique requires a considerable amount of traning, but also (extraordinary?) strong nerves: Innate talent! According to this book Papava used 3 grams trigger weight, while Skanåker used a “whopping” 5 grams... They do really not suggest “method is really only of benefit to people who haven't got a good trigger control”. On the contrary! You should be prepared for endless amounts of hours and hours of dry firing! (as I understand it, it is in German after all). Could be the reason why you don't see this method very much, Muffo?

The book uses the term “pulsierenden Abzugstechnic” so “pulsate method” might be just as good descripion as the “bump method”? For the “average shooters” they recommend softly increasing the trigger weight instead of this “pulsating method”. Before they go on to describe a combination of the two methods!

It is reasonabe to think of Skanåker that “his trigger control must have been pretty good”. On page 97 Skanåker tells that he was traning 2-3 hours per week like “everybody else” and his FP scores averaged 540-545 before he began training 4-6 hours per day winter 1968. He also recommended that your traning results should (preferably) be above 580 (FP) so that you have reserves when the stress comes in competitions...

My personal conclusion after the above: If you know you have very strong nerves (in competitions settings) or you are very curious about trying something new, try it! Or else spend the time applying pressure softly. My hand shakes like a wet dog in competitions, so it is a no brainer for me.
.il grab the book on the weekend and get the quote. Did you have a look at the video where skanaker is doing it. Yes I suffer from very bad nerves in competition. I have got close to 580s in air in training and my best in comp is a 560. My heart rate was reached a peak of 198 while shooting a comp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-NRG3IGDmA
go to 5.22

on another note watch bothe the videos and check out the Bulgarians pistol handling skills. Id kick him off the range
conradin

Post by conradin »

That clip is the greatest final ever. Six of the eight finalists were or would become either Olympic Gold medalists or World Champions. Kanstantsin Lukashyk, Tanyu Kiryakov, Skanåker, Wang Yifu, Xu Haifeng, and Sorin Babii