Newbie questions - please help

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
yana

Re: Newbie questions - please help

Post by yana »

[quote="shooter.177"]Hi,

I have not undergone any proper training till now, but i shot 2 competetions and scored 343 and 358 out of 400.

I'd say, start there; train properly. Pcp wont bring you ANYTHING unless you train. Its not a wonderpistol...So start training couple of times a week and shoot matches regularly.
If you havent trained before, you indeed are still fár away from what the pistol can do.
There's NO substitution for training.

Most shooters easily shoot 340-360, I never shot belowv 338, and that was only ónce. Everything else was 340-350 immediately.
Bút coming > 360 takes FAR more practise. So yes, its quite normal.
shooter.177

Post by shooter.177 »

I decided to modify the grips myself and ended up more better than what i was expecting. Now the pistol is really nice to hold. I am thinking, I could have done this much early.

I filed the finger area shape with a half round file and then did stippling with a pin punch.

Few picutres.

rgds,
Attachments
PIC-0151.jpg
PIC-0152.jpg
PIC-0153.jpg
PIC-0154.jpg
PIC-0155.jpg
Gerard

Post by Gerard »

Even just scraping that awful slippery varnished finish off a Baikal grip is a big help, but it looks like you're well on the way to making a sensible target grip there, nice work.
shooter.177

Post by shooter.177 »

Thanks Gerard, I hesitate to do till now thinking I will screw it up.
Really good now. I am able to repeat the same grip each shot with ease. I think i will hit atlease 10 points more.. not less for sure.
PeteS

Post by PeteS »

Gerard,

Just wanted to say thanks, from all of us Izzy owners who may have modified our grips (I'm currently working on my second set with an increased rake angle) and knew the pistol was too heavy, but had no idea where to begin shaving off the excess weight. Your picture and description were great. What a beautiful diet! I believe I will attempt some of these modifications on mine, although I do not have a lathe so I will leave the barrel alone, and I am not sure I will cut back the cocking lever quite as far as you have (but that's a matter of preference and arm strength).

Thanks,

-Pete
Gerard

Post by Gerard »

NOT THE BARREL! Probably a slip of the keyboard on your part, but just so it is clear; I removed steel from the wall thickness of the air compression cylinder, but none from the barrel. Polished the barrel, but that was to hide some bluing blemishes and make for a more uniform appearance. Wouldn't dare reduce barrel thickness, as it is flexible enough as it is - it seems the silicone caulking or some other restraint is necessary after removing the barrel clamp.

As for the thanks, no problem, glad to share information. It might be good to have a dedicated 46m thread for such modifications and various repair/adjustment issues with this fine pistol... maybe even a 46m owners' website considering the popularity of the pistol.
Last edited by Gerard on Sat Jan 27, 2024 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PeteS

Post by PeteS »

Thanks for the correction! Not the barrel.
PASA008

Re: Newbie questions - please help

Post by PASA008 »

I agree with those that recommended "Make the grip fit". I did very minimal sanding to mine, finger grooves where my fingers hit, and thinned the right side where my index finger and just behind it hit, removed a little on the thumb rest shelf. Did it with files and sandpaper. A dremel tool can get away from you too quickly. Once it fit my hand, I never touched it again, used all my time to practice. The mention of the 3 lb weight is excellent, there is one on my chair-side table along with my spring hand exerciser and my squeeze ball. Attending actual competitions can help as it puts you under match conditions. I have shot is a few PTO matches in years past (I'm too old now) and always came in just a few points below the mark to be invited to the next level, in the 550-570 range.