ISSF rule change from 1st January 2013

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
narayanan

ISSF rule change from 1st January 2013

Post by narayanan »

New pistol rule changes. I think it sukzzz. Any way i am attaching it. Take a look.
Attachments
PISTOL RULE CHANGE.pdf
New ISSF pistol rules
(265.52 KiB) Downloaded 1154 times
FredB

enforcement?

Post by FredB »

"athletes must walk normally at all times while on the field of play"

Will this rule be enforced by the Bureau of Silly Walks?
Brian James

Post by Brian James »

The proposed changes raise more questions than answers for me at this point.

For example, what is considered to be a vibration reduction system? Would a rubber buffer in many of today's 25m standard pistols be considered a vibration reduction system? Or how about the Hammerli FP10 and Matchguns MG1 or MG5 stabilizing arms… are they considered vibration reduction systems?

As well, the reduction of competition time doesn’t faze me when shooting matches on electronic targets, but paper based matches may be tight on time. For example 40 scoring shots in 50 minutes for Women’s AP when using crank AP targets does not leave much spare time.

My 2 cents,

Brian
Gerard

Post by Gerard »

Yup, it will be a bit tight at local matches with sometimes fussy, shot-up target holders taking a bit more effort to swap out paper.

The new final is weird for AP. It seems it'll favour those who shoot excellent finals over those who shoot slightly less optimum results in finals, but who are remarkably consistent throughout the match. There may be a shift in medal results at the top matches next year owing solely to the new finals format.
trinity

Post by trinity »

Not that I like the new rules, but just FYI: 75s/shot in finals => 40 shots in 50 minutes, or 60 shots in 75 min.

And we know in finals, 75s is enough for 3 raises. So add into that the manual target change... it is doable... guess just no more long breaks during the match.

-trinity
Gerard

Post by Gerard »

Exactly, no more long breaks. And sometimes, when one's mindset is just wrong for some reason, it can be most helpful to sit down or walk around for 10 minutes, just to reset the brain a bit. At my last match (BC provincial championship in Kamloops) I arrived late (they'd been shooting for a minute already - I'd stupidly accepted the suggested hotel which turned out to be a 3km walk uphill to the range, where there were 5 hotels on the same damned block!) and a bit out of breath. Because I wasn't in the best frame of mind I panicked slightly and didn't shoot enough warm-ups. First half was dismal, lowest score for 30 shots in a long time. Then I sat down for 10 minutes, closed my eyes, did a bunch of mental shooting. Second set of 30 was the best I've ever shot.

Admittedly this scenario isn't typical. I should have set out earlier for the range. But having that bit of extra time can make a lot of difference. I would have placed last, but with the extra time available, I was able to take silver in my class, thanks to that break to re-calibrate my brain a bit.
flolo

Post by flolo »

@ fredb: no, its controlled by the spanish inquisition...
Dr. Jim

Vibration reduction

Post by Dr. Jim »

I've just hunted through the Google results for vibration reduction mechanisms, and the only ones recognized are those in cameras. Admittedly these piezo electric and gyroscopic stabilizers might be small enough to incorporate on a sport firearm, but has anyone done so, or is the issf just being " pro-active" in trying to prevent their development?

Dr. Jim
FredB

but...

Post by FredB »

flolo wrote:@ fredb: no, its controlled by the spanish inquisition...
But nobody expects that!
Mike M.

Post by Mike M. »

I think target changing will have to be done off the clock. Reasonable, I think, but something ISSF should have considered. I think they forget the ordinary shooter in the Olympic fantasy.
Muffo

Post by Muffo »

wow this is a pretty huge change. It will change how we have to train
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

Gerard wrote:Exactly, no more long breaks. And sometimes, when one's mindset is just wrong for some reason, it can be most helpful to sit down or walk around for 10 minutes, just to reset the brain a bit. At my last match (BC provincial championship in Kamloops) I arrived late (they'd been shooting for a minute already - I'd stupidly accepted the suggested hotel which turned out to be a 3km walk uphill to the range, where there were 5 hotels on the same damned block!) and a bit out of breath. Because I wasn't in the best frame of mind I panicked slightly and didn't shoot enough warm-ups. First half was dismal, lowest score for 30 shots in a long time. Then I sat down for 10 minutes, closed my eyes, did a bunch of mental shooting. Second set of 30 was the best I've ever shot.

Admittedly this scenario isn't typical. I should have set out earlier for the range. But having that bit of extra time can make a lot of difference. I would have placed last, but with the extra time available, I was able to take silver in my class, thanks to that break to re-calibrate my brain a bit.
If you need time to forget about a bad shot and get your mind refocused, on your shot process, a break can be helpful.
However, I believe most world class shooters know their own shot process so well, that they will know immediately what they did wrong, and are able to put it behind them quickly. I bet scores will be exactly the same, if not better. If you account for the new 15 minute warm up, that is now seperate from the firing for record, you really dont lose that much time.
Chris

Post by Chris »

I think we need a list of pistols and rifles which are now "banned" because of the new rules.
Muffo

Post by Muffo »

Im not sure it will ban any of the pistols or rifles. except maybe with barrel tuners. I think it is a preventative measure to stop them introducing such things that could stabilize minor wobbles of the pistol
Muffo

Post by Muffo »

Are these changes definate or just proposed
rmarsh

AP rule changes

Post by rmarsh »

I was planning to order a Styer AP for my son in the next week or so. Should I hold off? It would be a real bummer to spend $2,500 on a pistol then have it ruled illegal before his first match.
FredB

source?

Post by FredB »

May I ask the source of this pdf.? While it sounds plausible*, there is no indication of origin or source in or above the text. For example, one might have expected a title above the text, such as "Preliminary ISSF Pistol Rule Changes for Next Quadrennial" or something of the sort. Is it a "leaked" summary of changes that someone obtained through back channels?
Inquiring minds want to know.

FredB

*Except for the silly walk prohibition.
Muffo

Post by Muffo »

I think it is a summary that someone has made form this

http://www.thenrai.in/index.php?option= ... o-category

and they missed the most important one.

that all finalists start with a score of 0
john bickar

Post by john bickar »

Hahahahaha