Olimpics 2020: is this an achievable goal?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
chewie49

Olimpics 2020: is this an achievable goal?

Post by chewie49 »

Hello guys,

I am 32 years old (from Spain). I am a pretty decent airsoft pistol shooter. I shoot with a Dan Wesson 8" revolver (CO2, about 450pfs).

Now, I would like to train Olimpic Pistol and get prepared for Olimpics 2020. I have never shot with an Olimpic Pistol, so first, I will need to buy one.

Do you think this is an achievable goal?

I have never competed in my life. But I am very disciplined in all I do and I have achieved many different good things in these 32 years of my life.

What do you think guys?

Thanks!
Russ

Post by Russ »

I like your goal.
I think this goal is more then achievable if you will choose the right direction. The right education will make the difference all the way up.

During the process to obtain my SCUBA open water certification and make a knowledgeable decision about which equipment I need to buy, I went through the mandatory class education and pool training to build knowledge, skills and confidence.

In controversy to this sport, many athletes are going to avoid "unnecessary" steps, such as education toward their devoted activity because they think they naturally have talent.This is the state of mind where most of problems begin.
Last edited by Russ on Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.
chewie49

Post by chewie49 »

Thank you Ross,

Considering that I never competed so far and that I shoot alone in my house, What do you suggest for my learning and training?

What books, DVDs, websites do you recommend me for learning and training?

Thanks!
Brian M

Post by Brian M »

As the saying goes:

"What the mind can conceive and believe, it can achieve"

That's a doable goal, but will take a Massive time commitment. 10,000 hours or 10 years is the normal standard for how much time it takes to become elite, and you'll need to be good enough for Minimum Qualifying Scores at least a year before. So 10,000 hours/7 years = ~28 hours a week, every week, of dedicated training.

If you've competed at elite levels in any other sport, then that number will be smaller as the mental aspect will transfer in large portion. Time to enlist the help of a mentor now though, that would normally be a coach/shooting club on the local level to get you off on the right foot.

Good luck.
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

Need more than an MQS a year before he'll need to make the Spanish National Team, where either he or someone on the team earns a quota spot and he'd need to get selected for the spot. i only through that in cause many people think that an MQS gets you into the Olympics and that's far from the truth. Quota spots get you in the Olympics, MQS let's your governing body select you to fill a quota spot.

This Olympics Spain had 1 Rapid Fire and 1 mens AP slot.

The time Brian M speaks of is the accepted standard too. A shooting club or a coach if definitely thevway to go.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Richard H wrote:i only through that in cause many people think that an MQS gets you into the Olympics and that's far from the truth. Quota spots get you in the Olympics, MQS let's your governing body select you to fill a quota spot.
This is an important point. If the highest you can achieve in a major match is the MQS then there would be very few governing bodies that would be prepared to select you.

If you had shot as an additional shooter in the 2012 Pistol events then the MQS would have got you:-

50m 34/39
RFP 18/19
AP60 43/45
25m 40/40
AP40 45/50

That might be fine if you were just double starting but, as a primary selection, I don't think so. Yes, everybody can have a bad day, but if your match score on a good day is the same as everyone else's on a bad day then more work is needed.
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

David Levene wrote:This is an important point. If the highest you can achieve in a major match is the MQS then there would be very few governing bodies that would be prepared to select you.
That's very true. The Olympics are not like the Commonwealth Games, with their very peculiar and charming mix of highest level international shooters on one side, and upper club-level recreational shooters on the other hand.

There are cases where an Olympic competitor was selected just because the country wanted to send *somebody* abroad in order to be present at the entry ceremony, but they are rare. Such a case is the (female) Bhutanese air rifle shooter of these games, Kunzang Choden: Bhutan wanted to send a second athlete beyond the inevitable archer, and thus there was a search whether anybody in any sport might be sufficiently qualified.

Alexander
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

chewie49 wrote:Thank you Ross,

Considering that I never competed so far and that I shoot alone in my house, What do you suggest for my learning and training?

What books, DVDs, websites do you recommend me for learning and training?

Thanks!
Books, DVDs, websites that list available coaches
Russ

Post by Russ »

If you have a coach, it is a sure thing. If you don’t, consider initial consulting. I’m very confident it will save years for you in comparison to use the hide and seek approach or trial and error method by reading books and watch DVDs.
chewie49

Post by chewie49 »

Thank you guys! for the words of encouragement, for the advice

I know this won't be a "walk in the park". I am very conscious that this will require a LOT of hard training.

But hey...the worst it could happen is that I have a lot of fun while I try it,...and knowing myself as I do...there is no "try" for me :)

Cheers!

P.S.: I am considering Coaching recommended by one of the member of this forum but i also would like to have some literature and DVDs. Which ones do you recommend me? Thanks in advance!
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

chewie49 wrote:...but i also would like to have some literature and DVDs...
1) Why? If you want to get inspiration, OK: if you are expecting to learn 'secrets'*, there aren't any.
2) As a beginner in the competition side of the sport, will you have the knowledge to understand, and implement, the information available?
3) Given the human condition, do you expect that you can differentiate between 'what you need to learn and practice' and 'what you think you need to learn and practice' (i.e. objective v subjective)? which leads to...
4) The good techniques needed are fairly learned, as are bad techniques.

A coach can objectively assess your strengths, weaknesses, needs, etc. and advise you on your needs - physical and mental conditioning, equipment selection, training regime, etc., etc., etc.

(*p.s. the 'secret' is not a secret - it's properly programmed training, designed and individualised for the shooter, and lots of it)

Here endeth this rant
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

Add to this an enormous amount of natural, genetically given talent. Without this prime component, years of endless training will result in no more than being a good Club competitor.
Have your base aptitude assessed first by a National Coach before embarking on a journey that will draw on your time and energy beyond imagination, with no guarantee of the success you dream of.
Russ

Post by Russ »

"genetically given talent" Can you please describe this term for me?
Thank you.

"Without this prime component, years of endless training will result in no more than being a good Club competitor."
I strongly disagree with this statement; it is sounds like a personal experience. It is not a prime component, sorry.
Last edited by Russ on Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

Russ wrote:"genetically given talent" Can you describe this term for me please?
Thank you.
He's trying to say shooting is a talent your born with and you can't learn to be a world class shooter.

Which is a large crock of crap.
Russ

Post by Russ »

Which is a large crock of crap.

I strongly agree with this statement Richard H. ;)
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

A natural talent that includes physical and psychological components, and are qualities that are genetically passed on ( as opposed to "God Given" ) . This makes achieving a successful outcome far more probable than for a person that is not so physically or mentally equipped.
My experience as pistol coach, and having been in the sport since 1975 has shown that encouraging shooters with this natural aptitude is far more rewarding for the coach as well as the shooter.
If " what the mind conceives an believes can be achieved" was applicable to all aspiring to the elite levels of our sport, then we would be overrun by master grade shooters.
Encouragement is an essential element to improvement, however unless a shooter is in possession of these other "special qualities" there is little chance of reaching the highest levels, no matter how much enthusiasm, coaching and self belief are applied.
A totally different approach needs to be applied to a person who's goals are to become Club Champion, than are applied to someone who's goal is to compete at an Olympic level.
If an honest evaluation of " natural talent", both physical and psychological we're undertaken before embarking on such an ambitious goal as becoming an Olympic shooter, then I am sure the path would be littered with fewer broken hearts and shattered dreams.
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

Hello Richard......My belief is that that we are all born with different physical and mental qualities that give us an advantage in certain arenas. A person more naturally gifted towards pistol shooting has a better chance of reaching the upper levels of the sport by comparison to someone that has not. I would not regard this view as " a large crock of crap "
A person with "two left feet" will never make the world ballroom finals no matter how much personal effort or training, as compared to someone that is gifted in this way.
Anyone will improve with the benefit of coaching and training,......but all will never reach the highest levels unless they posess more than just a desire to be the best, and a disciplined work and training ethic.
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

I disagree with much of what you said, I do agree with an honest evaluation, and from that you can give an honest evaluation of the work that is needed. A that point some won't or can't commit to that level of work.

I've found, especially while coaching juniors the exact opposite. Those that seem to have a natural ability rarely exhibit the drive to go beyond their natural ability. Everything comes easy to them at the first sign of trouble they loose interest and drive quickly, when they need to work it's not fun anymore. When working with juniors that aren't so naturally gifted, they seem to have a better work ethic aren't afraid of failure and many have the drive to work through their issues and in the end surpass those that had the natural talent.

Of course these are generalization and there are people in both those camps. Hence I would never make a call on someone over all ability from a simple evaluation. Nor would I suggest for anyone to work with such a coach, as long is some one is willing to work, I'm willing to work with them. The physical attributes for shooting are very basic, mental toughness can be learned and drive is driven by the persons desire to to achieve it.

I do not subscribe to the overly simplistic "if you can think or dream it you can do it" either. If you can formulate a goal, identify what you need, identify what can get in your way, come up with strategies to deal with the obstacles and then have the dedication and drive to execute your plan you have a good shot at succeeding.

If they were truly born with two left feet as a birth defect then yes they might have a difficult time becoming a ballroom dancer. If they run across coaches that subscribe to your attitude then yes they're done for, if they believe them.

Maybe you watched the Olympics, did you see Oscar Pistorius aka the Blade Runner. What natural attributes does he have that make him a 400m runner? I would assume in an evaluation the fact that he had no legs would be looked at as a rather large impediment. Yet he made the 400m semi-finals. I'm sure along the line he met coaches and people that said he couldn't do it.
Last edited by Richard H on Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Russ

Post by Russ »

I do not want to disappoint you. I have different data for you. 570 in Air Pistol can be a reachable goal for any healthy and motivated individual in a period of time within one year.
570 in AP can secure a position inthe National finals in many countries.
To score 570 in AP for a healthy and motivated individual, they do not need any talent, just a correct set of knowledge, motivation and hard work. Would you like to argue with me about this statement?
Last edited by Russ on Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

People with the majority of characteristics needed to be an elite shooter tend to self select. Daryl Szarenski told me the other day, that the general rule of thumb is that it takes about seven years to become an elite shooter.

I would guess, if after several years of training, you find that you have a deficiency, either mental or physical that you can't overcome, you will become frustrated and find something else to do.

The quality of your coaching, or your own ability to self analyze will probably determine how quickly you realize whether your goals are achievable or not. If you dont really LOVE to shoot, chances are good that the training will become so tedious that you will quit.

Shooting at a very high level requires the same amount of training as becoming a world class violinist. Many more people out there with the talent than those who both have the talent and are willing to put in the work. The people who make the Olympics, with rare exceptions, have both.