Olympics Results

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

David Levene

Olympics Results

Post by David Levene »

If you want a full set of the results, they are available here
Misny

Post by Misny »

Thanks for posting the link. I heard that the crowds at the shooting venues were nearly filled to capacity with spectators. Any truth to that?
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Misny wrote:Thanks for posting the link. I heard that the crowds at the shooting venues were nearly filled to capacity with spectators. Any truth to that?
Oh yes. Many people couldn't get into the qualifying range spectator areas and there were long queues for the Finals Hall.

I think it would be an understatement to describe the whole venue as "buzzing". It was better than that.
Seamaster1

Post by Seamaster1 »

It is more than buzzing. It is down right boisterous.

Many shooters state how they are not used to that type of noise in an Olympic venue. Worse , noise is not equal across 50 line ups. At selective spots on line up, it was a loud circus. Means you are "screwed".
redschietti

Post by redschietti »

So we are doing a huge diservice to our shooters by running a quiet line at home?

Highschool and even jr high athletes perform just fine in front of crazy crowds. Why do we insist on mind numbing silence in shooting?? Im sure quiet improves performance at first, but destroys it when the pressure is on.

Learn to deal with the pressure and noise from the begining...

james
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

redschietti wrote:So we are doing a huge diservice to our shooters by running a quiet line at home?

Highschool and even jr high athletes perform just fine in front of crazy crowds. Why do we insist on mind numbing silence in shooting?? Im sure quiet improves performance at first, but destroys it when the pressure is on.

Learn to deal with the pressure and noise from the begining...

james

I don't know about the rest of you, but I can shoot with lots of noise, or I can shoot when it is quiet. What really disturbs my concentration is a sudden unexpected burst of noise in a really quiet venue, right when I am either leveling the gun or pulling the trigger. A friend of mine got to chatting intermittently on the line at a match last summer. Three times he said something right as I was leveling the gun. The third time he interrupted my shot process, I yelled at him.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

If a group of spectators have travelled hundreds or thousands of miles to support their countrymen, no power on this earth will keep them quiet (even if you wanted to).
Brian M

Post by Brian M »

redschietti wrote:Learn to deal with the pressure and noise from the begining...

james
It's been a few years since I had any juniors to coach, but one of our "activities" was a shoot-off where those who were out then tried to disrupt the other shooters with sound. To the kids, it just seemed like innocent fun, until they went to big matches where people are moving around, talking, opening and closing doors, etc.... then it kinda makes sense.

Participating on that exercise was always fun and it absolutely makes a difference in concentration levels (I found that it takes physical contact to draw me out of my routine after doing that a few times).
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

We do distraction training all the time. I know at most events here in Canada there is no more " quiet please".

I was glad to see that the Olympic Finals were quite raucous, it adds to the events allows spectators to become part of it. Athletes need to deal with it in many other sports so why not shooters.
redschietti

Post by redschietti »

By "running a quiet line at home?" I meant our home state or country realizing that this is an international discussion. If you shoot 8's or 9's in my basment range at home your going to get heckled, at least at times...so I'm on board with the training. What I meant was, at the state and national Jr matches I have been to, they are deathly quiet. We are preparing them to fail...in my opinion. From the comments maybe its more of a usa thing.

james
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

It use to be a Canadian thing too.
GaryD

Post by GaryD »

I am okay with noise, it's when someone starts telling a joke I have a problem.
Rover

Post by Rover »

A seal goes into a bar.
The barman asks, "What'll ya have?"
The seal says, "Anything but a Canadian Club on the rocks!"
Dr. Jim

FP &noise

Post by Dr. Jim »

Way back in time when I was MUCH younger shooting free with a TOZ 35 set to about 15-20 grams, I had the unnerving experience of having someone in the next lane fire a full load 44Mag just as I was preparing to raise my pistol. The sonic shock was sufficient to discharge the TOZ without any trigger contact. (Immediately upped the release pressure to 50-60 grams.). If you can shoot under these conditions, I doubt there would be any problems with crowd noise.

Dr. Jim
Dr. Jim

Post by Dr. Jim »

Rover wrote:A seal goes into a bar.
Oy Vey!
Does this count as harassment ? Or is it piks at midnight on the nearest ice flow ?

Dr. Jim
Rover

Post by Rover »

Hey, Doc,
I lived for 12 years in Alaska. That's among the mildest (and cleanest) of Alaskan jokes. I'm also among the few Alaskans comfortable with Yiddish. (Born in Brooklyn.)

I'm sure you didn't know that our Rangemaster at PRGC is a Brooklynite rabbi. We hit it off right away.
GaryD

Post by GaryD »

Rover wrote:A seal goes into a bar.
Thanks Rover, I asked for that one
GCSInc

Announcer?

Post by GCSInc »

For someone who was there,

Who was that horrible announcer that went on and on between finals shots. The Person calling the Finals was great, but the announcer was not so much!
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

Not sure, but I agree he brought vapid and inane to new depths. He sounded like a children's TV presenter.