Barrel weight (extra)

Hints and how to’s for coaches and junior shooters of all categories

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963

Perry_w

Barrel weight (extra)

Post by Perry_w »

When is a extra Barrel weight needed? How does it affect the barrel? Can it cause the barrel to flex?
Where should the center of balance be?
What I am looking for is a more stedy hold in standing. This would be on a Dasiy sporter.
Thank you
michaelthomas

Post by michaelthomas »

I wouldn't think it would flex the barrel.

I have found a more steady hold when more weight is placed on my resting hand (front). My gun( Daisy 753) balances on my resting hand......but pretty much everything but the barrel has been modified. It weighs 10lbs 5 oz.

With the stock gun, I shot with a closed fist on the handle of the pump arm to get the elevation I wanted. I was more steady with my rest hand positioned further forward, but it was more uncomfortable to achieve the elevation I wanted. A glove with a thicker back would have helped.

There is some good info in this attached article about position.

I have benefited the most from getting my stance as close as possible to textbook.....but still being comfortable. I can usually place my feet, close my eyes, bring the gun down, and when I open them I will be pretty dang close to where I need to be.....then make a minor rear foot adjustment. If you have to struggle to maintain position.....it will be difficult to shoot well. I shoot with the rifle canted about 20 degrees. This allows the sight to get right in front of my eye without putting my head in an uncomfortable position. As long as you maintain the same cant with each shot it will be fine. After sighting in......if you over cant the rifle compared to your sight in reference,your shots will be low and to the left......opposite in you under cant (for right handers). This only works if you are shooting the same distance every time such as 10m target. The body is an amazing instrument.......after a few thousand shots, muscle memory takes over and you'll be right on cant every time. I used a small level fixed to my front sight at the proper angle to verify my position at first, but it's not necessary anymore.

I just shot my best ever offhand ,yesterday, of a 92. I backed it up this morning with another 92 and a 90. There are certainly many other people here that can shoot much better than that, so take my advice for what its worth.

Here is the link, as I was not able to attach the document.

http://thebfta.net/bfta-documents/81-training-resources

Click on the technical skills document.
Perry_w

Post by Perry_w »

Thanks
When I said flex it may not be the correct term I was thinking about. I am really thinking about the harmonics of the barrel. A pellet gun doesn’t vibrate as much as firearm, but clamping something on the barrel would change the rate of this vibration. Would a weight clamped on the cause inconsistencies in the point of impact? Am I over thinking this? I see guns with extra weight on the barrel, but I am not really big on the monkey see monkey do thing.
Thanks for the input on stance and hold.
michaelthomas

Post by michaelthomas »

When I was contemplating making the aluminum adjustable stock for mine, I draped some rice bags over the stock gun in various places to see how it felt. I could still shoot with them on there, and it gave me a feel for how the gun would be if the balance and overall weight were different.

It only took a few minutes to realize that a heavier gun for me was much steadier. My 753 was 5lbs 10oz to begin with.

I would just put the weight on there and see what happens.