sling/ hand stop

Hints and how to’s for coaches and junior shooters of all categories

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963

Bntarrw

sling/ hand stop

Post by Bntarrw »

Hello and good morning everyone. I was wondering if the MEC handstop would we allowed to be used on his sporter rifle to use in his JROTC program.?

If info would be a great help.

Thanks.
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

That's a great question!

From my looking at the CMP and NRA rules, my opinion: there is nothing that would keep you from doing so. The only thing you could conceivably have to worry about is the weight limit. (and that's only if you are close anyway)

I'm probably a very strict interpreter of the rules as a match director, but I'd be OK with this. Some might go over the top on "Spirit & Intent" but I've seen many "tall" handstops that came off smallbore rifles used and pass inspection at Nationals.
PCU

Post by PCU »

Another thing to worry about other than weight, you have to worry about the size (depth) of the hand stop/swivel. JROTC uses National Council Rules. Rule 4.2.7 includes this for Sporter competition:
"- - - A sling swivel or hand stop that is attached to a rail in the fore-end may be used. The sling swivel or hand stop, with the sling swivel folded flat, may not exceed 25 mm in depth, except that the adjustable hand stop provided with the Daisy 853CM is permitted. - - -"
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

PCU wrote:Another thing to worry about other than weight, you have to worry about the size (depth) of the hand stop/swivel. JROTC uses National Council Rules. Rule 4.2.7 includes this for Sporter competition:
"- - - A sling swivel or hand stop that is attached to a rail in the fore-end may be used. The sling swivel or hand stop, with the sling swivel folded flat, may not exceed 25 mm in depth, except that the adjustable hand stop provided with the Daisy 853CM is permitted. - - -"
Good point PCU ... all the ones I've seen were less than 1" tall ... the MEC may be over that .... BNtarrw .... make sure you measure one before you buy or use it.
Bntarrw

Post by Bntarrw »

I will have to measure it when I get a chance. I know he would enjoy using it if he is allowed.