JO Dates

Hints and how to’s for coaches and junior shooters of all categories

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963

randy1952

JO Dates

Post by randy1952 »

Does anybody know the dates for the JO? I looked at the calendar at USAS, but couldn't find anything unless I overlooked something?
76Olympian

JO Championships

Post by 76Olympian »

The JO dates/program has not been posted yet. Dates are still tentative, but it appears that they are planned for 13-30 April 2012.

Contact Pete Carson 719-866-4897 to confirm when the 'actual' dates are going to be posted.
Marc Orvin

Post by Marc Orvin »

Randy,
Women's Rifle 4/13 to 18
Men's Rifle 4/19 to 25
Pistol 4/26 to 5/1

This from the volunteer letter I received today in the mail.
latin123

Post by latin123 »

What is this?
Marc Orvin

Post by Marc Orvin »

If you mean what is JO, it is the Junior Olympic matches for ISSF style shooting. This is held each year in the United States for the best Junior shooters from each state.

The competitors must not only finish at the top for their respective states, but must have scores adequate to make the match for their age group.

Hope that answers your question.
Bntarrw

Post by Bntarrw »

Hello and good evening , Marc I have a question for you. My son who lives in DE. Recently shot in th JO qualifier and placed third in the J2's. But do to the fact that is was shot in in MD. at the Naval Academy his scores did not count. Because he was out of state. The other question how do someone as my son try to qualify when the is no USA sponsered shoot in DE. Any info would be a HUGE Help!
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

Bntarrw wrote:Hello and good evening , Marc I have a question for you. My son who lives in DE. Recently shot in th JO qualifier and placed third in the J2's. But do to the fact that is was shot in in MD. at the Naval Academy his scores did not count. Because he was out of state. The other question how do someone as my son try to qualify when the is no USA sponsered shoot in DE. Any info would be a HUGE Help!
His scores would indeed count. He should be placed in the state of his residence (DE).
His scores were then grouped with all other DE residents.
If you have questions regarding where he placed in regards to the rest of the state and his status, the best bet is to go straight to the source, Pete Carson at USA Shooting Competitions who is in charge of the JO invites.
719-866-4897.

What were his scores? Remember, minimums this year were 500 in both air & SBR and if you go to the USAS website you can see what the 1st round cutoff scores were.
cmj

Post by cmj »

Entry form should have had state of residence and MD should have sent him in as an "at large competitor"

Only scores from a registered State Junior Olympic match will count for invitation to the National Junior Olympic Championships. Shooters may not compete in more than one state JOSC. Juniors who fire in their own home state JOSC will not be allowed to shoot in another state. Juniors from states which are not holding a state JOSC, and those who cannot attend their own state JOSC, will be allowed to enter as a non-resident in another state. Non-residents should declare their home state at entry and are not eligible for state resident awards.
Bntarrw

Post by Bntarrw »

cmj, and martin, thank you for the input. I will have to check, but i dont believe we ever received a At Large info. I have no seen anywhere where there was a JO shoot. He's scores was below the automatic compared to the USA info. His scores was a 541 Air and 546 SBR.
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

Bntarrw wrote:I have no seen anywhere where there was a JO shoot. He's scores was below the automatic compared to the USA info. His scores was a 541 Air and 546 SBR.
Well the 1st item is, was the match he shot in a JO qualifier .... did he fill out the USAS entry form for each event?
(I do not see a DE shoot on my host list either)

J2 mens cutoffs for the 1st round of invites are:
Air: 556
SBR: 559

Unless he was the only shooter from DE, I don't think 2nd round will get him in either. Is he still J2 next year? He's almost there.

Again, to make sure, give Pete a call (They may be off on Monday)
Bntarrw

Post by Bntarrw »

He was signed in under de, resident. He actually shot a 551but he had double loaded on the 46nd shot in his air. The way his birthday falls he will be classified as a J1 next year. The shoot at the US Naval Academy was a JO qualifier
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

Yeah ... call Pete & leave a message explaining.
He's good at calling you back

Joel
gtrisdale

Post by gtrisdale »

Bntarrw wrote:He was signed in under de, resident. He actually shot a 551but he had double loaded on the 46nd shot in his air. The way his birthday falls he will be classified as a J1 next year. The shoot at the US Naval Academy was a JO qualifier
I don't uderstand how a double loaded shot would make a 10 point difference in a score. How did they score the double loaded shot?
Bntarrw

Post by Bntarrw »

It was 10 penalty and loss of target he continued and shot the next target as well, it was hes first ever competition plus a first on electronic targets as well.
gtrisdale

Post by gtrisdale »

Bntarrw wrote:It was 10 penalty and loss of target he continued and shot the next target as well, it was hes first ever competition plus a first on electronic targets as well.
From what you have written, they may not have made the correct ruling. Per USAS rule 6.11.4.2.1 - 6.11.4.2.5, there is no penalty for loading and shooting 2 pellets. It should have been scored as 1 shot. The highest of the 2 scores counts. If neither shot scores, then it would be a miss.
Bntarrw

Post by Bntarrw »

I will have to check again with my son but I believe is was a miss.