Air Arms Alfa Pistol

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
redline

Air Arms Alfa Pistol

Post by redline »

Hi everyone.

I am new and I am interested to get into some shooting with ISSF Pistols (maybe rifles at some time). So I am very new. My only experience are with M16's, M60's and GPMG's when I was in the military. At university I played around with Crossmans sport pistols and rifles. So that is me, and I have got 2 (eventually 3) boys who are taking up shooting.

I am considering buying a couple of pistols for them and I have some questions.

1 What is the differenc between the standard and compact models (eg Steyr LP10 and LP2)? Is there a accuracy/performance difference?

2 Can adults use compact models for Olympic/ISSF competitions?

3 I am interested in the Air Arms Alfa Pistol (www.air-arms.co.uk). Does amyone have or know of this pistol and can give me some comments?

Cheers
USMC0802

Post by USMC0802 »

Was hoping someone with some specific knowledge would reply but I guess not.

Yes, adults can use compact pistols. I have not shot the Steyr pistol but have a Morini compact. I primarily chose it due to weight. Not sure about the Steyr but the sight radius is just as long on the short model as it is on the standard model.

As for the air arms- I have known some people with their rifle and it seems their quality from gun to gun isn't all that consistent and there can be problems. As far as the pistol goes, I understand that for the price, it is a good entry level competition pistol. I watched an exciting shoot off to make the finals at US Nationals this year in women's air pistol. One was shooting a Styer and one was shooting the Air Arms. The Air Arms proved to be very accurate in the hands of this young girls. For the money, I think I would give one a try. Especially if you are brand new as air pistol shooting

Hopefully someone with personal experience will let give us their opinion
Scrench

I Owned the Alfa

Post by Scrench »

Hi,

Everyone says the Baikal/Izzy 46M is the best bang for the buck, and at that price level, maybe it is, but I've had both, and I think the Alfa Proj is by far superior in every way, and in fact I can't really see why it would be necessary to buy anything else, including Steyr's and Morini's, unless you are a world class competitor.

It is accurate. The test target was 1 hole, with 3 ever so slight cloverleafs for 5 shots at 10m. Bench rested at 10m I could shoot nickel-sized 10 shot groups all day long. Velocity can be adjusted, but out of the box I got averages of 511fps for R10's, 480fps for JSB Greens, and 470fps for H&N Finales for an 80 shot test. Filled to 200 bar it shot 84 shots before power dropped off significantly, then on the 87th shot it released all of the remaining air in the chamber to remind me to fill up. I did get 3 freak shots during the 80 shot group that jumped 100fps. It didn't affect poi, but you could feel it.

I'm just beginning in 10m match, but the 2nd 60 shot match I ever shot was a 475. Not great, but shows a potential for someone who knows what they are doing, like the girl you saw.

The triggers adjustability was a dream, better then on more expensive guns, and it is as good or better then on the Baikal. The bolt slid like butter, and between using that and cocking the gun I was able to grip it with my right hand the entire time while loading with my left. The sights were great with a big selection. Dry firing was a snap, although not quite realistic, but enough to practice with. I even loved the safety feature, and the fact that you could de-cock it for ultimate safety.

The weight that comes with it should be chopped up into 4 smaller weights. It's light enough for anyone to shoot without it, and approaches the weight of the Baikal with it, and it does slide up and down for placement. I got used to shooting it without the weight and was never fatigued. With that light weight and super-smooth loading and cocking, I could just burn through pellets. I'd shoot 240 shots before I started thinking about quiting. This gun makes you want to shoot it.

You MUST get the optional right-hand grip for it. The ambi that comes with it is not all that great, and I'd bet it's not all that great if you are left-handed too. The optional has the palm shelf to lock your wrist and fits a human hand much much better. Swapping grips takes less then a minute (I timed myself) with an expansion screw in the bottom of the grip.

If it sounds like I'm sort of raving about this gun...I am. The only reason I sent mine back is because some bills came up and I still had time to send it back for a full refund, otherwise it would still be here. I started off small, trying a Weihrauch HW40 (great trigger) and a Webley Alecto (horrible trigger and sights), a TAU 7 Match (loud, co2 hassle), and 3 Baikal 46M's. I seriously considered and shopped for Steyr's of different flavors and came within a gnats eyelash of buying a Morini 162EI. But I finally realized that as a beginner, all I need is something that fits and outshoots me, with room to grow. As much as I'd love to have a Steyr LP10, I just don't deserve it yet. I can't for the world figure out why the Alfa's have been ignored because it's one hell of a gun, IMO.

If you have any specific questions, I put this gun through the ringer and may have an answer for you.

Hope This Helps,
Richard
yana

Post by yana »

The AA Alfa isnt AA at all. Its an Alpha Proj CO2 made pcp with AA help. I had the co2 version. Its VERY light, cause all alu. Too light up front. But the barrelweight is FAR too heavy 250gr!? The grips are very small, aeron like.
Tau's a better fit. Also, a specific R/h grip costs extra!?

Imo, the Tau 7 is a FAR better buy!!

Wouldnt buy the Alfa in pcp anyway, the cilinder is very small. Even with a reg. 80-90 shots is barely enough to cover a 60 shot match+testshots+reserve..If it leaks ever so lightly, which is very probable with tsjech guns, you already have a problem.
In co2 its far more worth the $$. But buy it in tsjech directly, nót from AA, thats too expensive. I bought mine for E300-350 (euro's).
Sold it though, cause the Tau is better imo. For what they ask for a new Alfa, I'd rather have a sechand morini or anything.
Scrench

Post by Scrench »

Yana,

I had a TAU 7 Match pistol for a while, and I agree, it fit my hand much better. I like to practice in my backyard, but I have neighbors with kids who play right on the other side of my fence, about 30-40 feet away, and the Tau was just too loud. That, and the hassle of filling Co2, as well as the varying velocities associated with temperature are why I got rid of it.
yana

Post by yana »

The Alfa I had was louder!
Cause it was factory set to higher fps.
I dont have any temperature problems with my Tau's, unléss it gets around zero degrees..But even than I woner wether its the pistol or mé having temperature issues! ;) Between 12 and 20 degrees there's NO variation in fps whatsoever.
Temperature sensitivity is MUCH exaggerated. Tau is one of the best CO2 buys that money can buy.(in that prica class)
Sorry to hear you sold yrs. I'll never sell mine!
Raymond Cheng

Re: Air Arms Alfa Pistol

Post by Raymond Cheng »

I have problem with my AA alfa pistol. I was used for 10m and further distance shooting without problem in the beginning when it was new. After not shooting it for years, I took out and shot at 10m, I found the pistol shot low on target. So I tried to adjust the elevation on the rear sight until it went up to the most up click, but still it is 3 inches low. I just do not know what has happened to rear sight. I checked on the front sight of the pistol and obviously it has no change at all.

Should some one has an idea how to it can be fixed, please let me know.
Your advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
RC
robjob

Re: Air Arms Alfa Pistol

Post by robjob »

I had two of these "things" in my jr program... wont ever own or recommend them again. For current pricing that ive seem, the hammerli AP20 is 100x better option. I'm running 12 of these and am very happy with them. The cylinder can be "flipped" from vertical to horizontal by removing 4 simple screws. This changes the ballance significantly and when kids get older this is helpfull.

There should be no "nickel sized groups" in air pistols. I've been testing higher end guns recently, and they group arrround .2" at 17 meters (longer distance to try and differentiate the tiny groups) ill grab an ap20 and test that as well.