front sight....

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

pmelchman

front sight....

Post by pmelchman »

I was wondering what the prone shooters prefer... a clear front sight insert or the traditional iron circle? or do you prefer a front sight you can dial the size of the aperture and thickness of the ring?

regards,

pmelchman
RobStubbs

Re: front sight....

Post by RobStubbs »

pmelchman wrote:I was wondering what the prone shooters prefer... a clear front sight insert or the traditional iron circle? or do you prefer a front sight you can dial the size of the aperture and thickness of the ring?

regards,

pmelchman
I have always preferred clear, and have recently gone on to one you can adjust (just aperture size). I find different sizes work better indoors v outdoors so it just makes it easier, and I still want to experiment to determine what size is optimum for me.

Rob.
Dave IRL

Post by Dave IRL »

I use a Centra Duo Glass. I like the defined ring, never got the same results with simpler clear elements. It's also nice to be able to tweak aperture size and ring thickness for extra definition in difficult light conditions.
matchguy

Post by matchguy »

I started out using the clear apertures long time ago but had some problems. Depending on the light indoors, someplaces you get glare so bad you can't see around the ring. Outdoors if it rains you can get a drop or two on it.

Now I have adjustable Anschutz and Centra Vario Swing with the bar or cross hair. It's far easier to adjust for different targets or positions, no fumbling for the insert to replace. Also when installing, the Vario Swing lets you adjust the cant. Without the cant adjustment it's really hard to get the crosshair level. Every time you tighten it rotates a bit.

Another problem with the Gehmans and maybe they changed it. The ones I had didn't use a spanner wrench to tighten. You had to use your fingers or marr it with a pliar. With fingers it always seemed to come loose. I ended up drilling my own hole in the lock ring and using one of my Anschutz or Centra wrenches.

Just my experiences with them.
Eric U

Post by Eric U »

I use the clear glass single-size Centra inserts. Plastic just isn't clear enough and I don't like the bar in the traditional apertures.

Maybe I'm just different, but I NEVER change the size of my front aperture for different light conditions. I handle all those changes with my rear iris/filters. I think this helps me be more consistent when I shade as the gap between bull and front aperture is the same all the time. I shade all the time.

Eric U
KennyB

Post by KennyB »

I too use a Centra Hi End element and generally never alter the size for the same reasons as Eric.

I'm currently up to a 5.0/1.4 on the end of a 10" tube.
I start to get aiming errors if I go much smaller...

Ken.
bruce

Post by bruce »

I've dabbled with adjustable foresights, but have used Centra High End inserts for years.

The advantage, for me, over variable type is that I can have a much thinner ring.
nimrodf

Dumb question, who carries the single Centra aperatures

Post by nimrodf »

I looked in my normal sources (champion choice) and all I see are the adjustable apertures.

Thanks,

Nimrod
Eric U

Post by Eric U »

I get all my Centra stuff through Center Shot Sports.

Eric U
nester

Post by nester »

bruce wrote:I've dabbled with adjustable foresights, but have used Centra High End inserts for years.

The advantage, for me, over variable type is that I can have a much thinner ring.
Here is the Centra High End http://www.edinkillie.co.uk/ecatalog/ce ... Path=44_49

Which ring thickness do you use?
Looking at the Centra Duo Glass Foresight - the outer ring minimum is 6.4mm, so if I use inner diameter 3.4 - so the minimum ring width would be 1.5mm, correct?

With Centra High End I can get 1mm - how it looks like?
I don't like thick metal rings and therefore I've switched to plastic Slimline Plastic sight inserts, but want try something even thinner..
And for those Centra inserts - do I need special tunnel, or they can be screwed into regular 18mm tunnel?

Also, is there practical difference between regular and clear (Crystal) elements?
KennyB

Post by KennyB »

nester wrote: Which ring thickness do you use?
Looking at the Centra Duo Glass Foresight - the outer ring minimum is 6.4mm, so if I use inner diameter 3.4 - so the minimum ring width would be 1.5mm, correct?

With Centra High End I can get 1mm - how it looks like?
Ring thickness is very personal - one of my clubmates uses and swears by the 1.0mm rings, I find them a bit too easy to lose focus on.
nester wrote: And for those Centra inserts - do I need special tunnel, or they can be screwed into regular 18mm tunnel?

Also, is there practical difference between regular and clear (Crystal) elements?
They should screw straight into a 18mm foresight without issue.

The Crystal inserts are designed to be used with the Score Crystal Foresight Tunnel and is consequently a touch more expensive - otherwise no difference.

K.
nester

Post by nester »

ok, thank you
nester

Post by nester »

How you change Centra High End - just unscrew the previous and screw new? Will it hold zero?
Zero - is the major concern with my current plastic inserts - they slightly smaller than tunnel, so they can move a little. So after changing insert - I have to sight-in again, since I'll be few rings off..
Also replacing requires completely take off the rifle, get both hands on the front sight,etc,etc.. With Centra High End - can you do it with one hand only?

Also about Centra Crystal and (Crystal Foresight Tunnel) - anybody uses them? Are they beneficial compared to standard Centra insert and tunnel?

I am looking to upgrade my tunnel and plastic inserts to set of fixed High Ends - and thinking if I should get transparent instead of regular..
sbrmike

Post by sbrmike »

Nester,
Do you use a clamping ring for your plastic inserts? Most plastic inserts are designed to be used with a clamping ring instead of the plain ring for steel apertures. This should eliminate the moving around of the plastic apertures.
nester

Post by nester »

sbrmike,
No, I use plain ring for metal apertures.
My plastic insert are not Anschutz, so I don't think they could be used with the clamping ring (since they do not have indent).
I just drop it to the tunnel and screw. It works perfectly fine, the only disadvantage I can't change it "on the fly".
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

nester wrote:How you change Centra High End - just unscrew the previous and screw new? Will it hold zero?
Zero - is the major concern with my current plastic inserts - they slightly smaller than tunnel, so they can move a little. So after changing insert - I have to sight-in again, since I'll be few rings off..
Also replacing requires completely take off the rifle, get both hands on the front sight,etc,etc.. With Centra High End - can you do it with one hand only?

Also about Centra Crystal and (Crystal Foresight Tunnel) - anybody uses them? Are they beneficial compared to standard Centra insert and tunnel?

I am looking to upgrade my tunnel and plastic inserts to set of fixed High Ends - and thinking if I should get transparent instead of regular..
Yes the hi-ends screw straight into the tunnel. The insert replaces the clamping ring that you use with metal or perspex apertures.

I can just about switch hi-ends one handed, although it's not easy to do during match. I do use a 6in extension tube, so it may be easier with a standard length barrel. I also don't get much practise as I rarely change the foresight.

I can't remember having to completely re-zero the rifle after changing one hi-end for another.

I only use the standard (not the crystal) hi-ends, but cannot recommend these highly enough. The sight picture is much clearer than with perspex elements, no obstruction as with metal elements, and no fading of the ring in strong light. I personally wouldn't use a crystal hi-end unless I was also getting the crystal foresight tunnel; I don't see what benefit there would be using a cystal element with a standard tunnel.

Hope this answers some of your queries.

Tim S
nester

Post by nester »

Thanks Tim, that's exactly what I wanted to know!

The last question about front sight size - is generally 18mm used on standard barrel and 22 - on the extension tube?

I am on standard barrel and have no complains about my current 18mm front sight size, so I'll be ordering 18mm crystal tunnel and several inserts - will play around with them..
Sparks

Post by Sparks »

Dave IRL wrote:I use a Centra Duo Glass. I like the defined ring, never got the same results with simpler clear elements. It's also nice to be able to tweak aperture size and ring thickness for extra definition in difficult light conditions.
Ditto, same make and model. Used clear inserts for years, but the adjustable gives me the same end result with less kit to carry.
alpineboard

Post by alpineboard »

Am waking this thread up, I am experimenting with standard clear 4.0 x 1.3, 3.8 x 1.3, with the score crystal, and going to get High End Crystal in either or all, 4.0 x 1, 1.2, 3.9 x 1.1, 3.8 x 1.0
I still see very well, at close to 40/20 , an have good duration after 1 hr 30 minutes, and still strong
So am thinking of trying these thinner rings. Have been using the stock 800x 4.0 x 1.3 for 1 year now, and
thinking that the 3.8 or 3.9 will drive me harder to be steadier, I used the stock 3.8 back in 1988, fwb 601, and
after much training got to a 96 to 99 level standing with it, Just trying to do it again. Thanks, R
alpineboard

Post by alpineboard »

Had a good session with the 3.8mm, Had been using the stock 4.0mm that came with the 800x, I think that 4.0mm has been holding me back.
After a few shots with the 3.8mm, I started to remember how much I liked it from previous years, for so many reasons.
The 3.8mm is more exacting, more demanding, more challenging, but once settled in with it, it commands you to do better.
Ordered the 3.8 in 1.0 and 1.2 , no need for the 3.9 or 4.0 , I'm excited, thanks for listening, R