grip

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

robertemory

grip

Post by robertemory »

Could someone tell the definition of 'heeling' and'thumbing'? Thanks!"
hill987

Post by hill987 »

heeling is your shots will end up at 1:00-2:00 on the target,, thumbing is where your shots will end up at 2:00-4:00 on the target,, and can be as slight as 9 ring to 5 ring depending on the amount of pressure, heeling is also known as anticipating recoil. hope this helps
robertemory

grip

Post by robertemory »

This helps but was actually is thumbing? My chart tells me what thumbing will do but not what it is. Thanks , again!
2650 Plus

Post Subject

Post by 2650 Plus »

Smooth steady pressure on the trigger ,deep concentration on perfecting sight allignment ,intense focus on the front sight,a surprise break of the shot and solid follow through will eleminate both problems. Concentrate on what produces a ten and eliminate any concern about bad shots in your training program. Short and simple goes a long way in achieving perfection. Good Shooting Bill Horton
Dr. Jim

Post by Dr. Jim »

As I've always understood it, "thumbing" is applying pressure with the thumb on the grip - either down or towards the palm. Thumb should "just lie there" to avoid this. Heeling is more complicated, and anticipation of recoil or a loose grip may allow the gun to twist up-right in recoil. At least that's what I recall from Standl's book of many years ago.
Dr Jim
Tzed250

Re: Post Subject

Post by Tzed250 »

2650 Plus wrote:Smooth steady pressure on the trigger ,deep concentration on perfecting sight allignment ,intense focus on the front sight,a surprise break of the shot and solid follow through will eleminate both problems. Concentrate on what produces a ten and eliminate any concern about bad shots in your training program. Short and simple goes a long way in achieving perfection.
Good Shooting Bill Horton
If all of that isn't the truth I don't know what is....

GuestX

Re: grip

Post by GuestX »

robertemory wrote:This helps but was actually is thumbing? My chart tells me what thumbing will do but not what it is. Thanks , again!
Thumb is used to oppose index finger to pick up chart and drop it in the waste bin
robertemory

Post by robertemory »

Thanks to you all! I now can refine my shot plan. See you at Perry.