Bullet Lube

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

bebloomster

Bullet Lube

Post by bebloomster »

Those of you that cast your own bullets for bullseye use... just wondering what you use for lube and how well satisfied you are with it.

I've been using "BAC" from White Label Lube on 148gr wadcutters that I cast from scrap wheelweight. I will usually add a pound or two of linotype to each 20 pound pot in an effort to harden it up a little bit more. I size to .358" in a SAECO lubrisizer.

My normal load is 3.1gr W-231 or HP-38. Have never chronographed this load so don't know the exact speed but it is pretty comfortable in both my S&W Model 52-2 and S&W K-38.... certainly not a hot load at all. I still note some light leading in the barrel after 150 rounds or so. Easy enough to remove with a bit of Chore Boy copper scrub pad on a bronze brush.

Just wondering if there might be a better option for lube.

http://www.lsstuff.com/lube/
David M

Post by David M »

I found a homemade lube many years ago in a old 1970's shooting magazine.
It is 2 parts beeswax, 2 parts vasoline (parafin jelly) and one part Rocol anti-scuffing paste (molydisulphide).
You can alter the beeswax up or down to change thickness.
It is not a super fast lube but it has one of the lowest deviations over the chronograph that I have ever seen and groups very well.
I have been shooting it since the early 1980's with the same home cast 134g button nose wadcutter and with lots of very good results.
ciscovt

Bullet Lube

Post by ciscovt »

David,
I have used BAC in the past as well as other lubes by White Label. They make very goo lubes. I have just recently made a batch of Felix Lube and like it very much. I think that possibly the light leading you are getting could be eliminated by using a softer alloy, not a different lube. Your load is fairly light and your alloy is fairly hard for the light load. Wheel weights are about 12BHN and Linotype about 23 BHN. I am finding that an alloy down around a 9-10BHN gives me better accuracy and no leading with light loads. Take a look at the Los Angeles Sihouette Club web site at www.lasc.us/CastBulletAlloy.htm for wealth of good cast bullet information.

Scott
Vermont