.45 ACP reloading question

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

Bullseye58

.45 ACP reloading question

Post by Bullseye58 »

For those experienced reloaders out there; I am a newbie reloader and I use a redding carbide expander die. When I measure the brass after the expander die process, it's width is averaging only .470 at the neck. The bullets just barely fit on the neck after expansion. Am I doing something wrong? I reload Winchester brass (once fired). I followed the reloading manual and the redding instructions for setting up the expander die in my Redding T-7 turret press. I know it is important not to over work the brass in this stage of the reloading process, but I don't think I am working it enough. Thanks!
Ernie Rodriguez

45 Expander

Post by Ernie Rodriguez »

Are you giving the shell a sufficient amount of belling???
Bullseye58

Post by Bullseye58 »

I don't think I am, but not sure. I set the die up according to the instructions and reloading manuals. Is there a standard measurement I should be achieving after belling the case?
little_doodie

Post by little_doodie »

agreed.
a general rule of thumb is if it shaves lead its not belled enough.
LD
JamesH

Post by JamesH »

Not familiar with Redding dies so this could be wrong.

The expander is usually mostly straight, with a tapered portion near the top end, this can be barely visible.

The tapered portion puts a slight flare or 'bell' on the case tip.
The expander can be adjusted to control the flare, its usually pretty sensitive, small turns have a big effect.

You're right in that you want the minimum flare to maximise case life, you want just enough belling that you can press the bullet in with your thumb and it will just 'stick' and not shave lead when its seated.
melchloboo

Post by melchloboo »

+1 no shaving you're good to go.
Kirmdog

Post by Kirmdog »

I use Redding 45acp dies and they have a two step expader in the die. The first step expands the case to around .450 and is just short in lenght of the bearing surface of my 200gr H&G #68 bullets bearing surface. You will have to screw down the expander even more to get the second step to start belling the mouth. You will feel resistance with the first step so you will have to keep turning the expander down around 1/4 to 3/8 of an inch until you get to the second step in the expander. Go about a 1/2 turn at a time until you get the expander to bell the mouth. If you are a new reloader you should realize that you may have to waste a few cases while you experament with getting your new dies set up.

Just remember that Redding 45 acp dies have a two step expander die, you must get to that second step to bell the mouth. If you unscrew the expander out of the die you will see the two steps and you can measure the lenght of the first step (from the bottom of the expander to the shoulder farther up) to the second step( the shoulder) and this will give you a mental picture of how far you have to screw the expander down in the die before it starts belling the mouth.

Kirmdog
TonyT

Post by TonyT »

I screw down the belling plug in small increments until the bullet base fits lightly into the case mouth.
PASA008

Post by PASA008 »

I will take my dial caliper and measure the inside of the case mouth as I gradually lower the plug in the die until I get to the measurement I need, usually .465 or so. The bullet needs to be able to sit by itself on the case mouth and start down into the case. The previous statements if it shaves lead it isn't enough belling is correct.