range commands

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

SMBeyer

range commands

Post by SMBeyer »

Not too long ago I remember seeing bullseye range commands on CD for sale but I cant remember where I saw it. It doesn't have to be CD it can be something I can download and put on an mp3 player. If anybody has any suggestions, thanks Scott.

Post by Guest »

TAJ45

Range commands............time frame.

Post by TAJ45 »

Am I having a very senior moment? Way back in the memory banks, seems that the commands were supposed to happen, start to finish in 16 seconds.........??

I just listened to the MP3 offering above and it seems fast to me? Has my 33 year layoff from BE addled my brain?
canthit

range commands

Post by canthit »

Bullseye Pistol Gear has a MP-3 player with timed and rapid fire commands for about $20, Look under training aids. If you have a mic for your computer make your own and down load to your player or use a small tape recorder. I think you should wait about 3 seconds between commands. Hope this helps.
canthit
TAJ45

Commands

Post by TAJ45 »

Yes, the 3 seconds seems to ring a bell............Anyone else available to shed light on this with rule book verification?
Ed Hall

Post by Ed Hall »

Personally, I think the printed rules have gone downhill in this respect. The way they are written now, is as if you should say, "Ready on the right. Ready on the left." all at once. The only mention of a delay is the approximate delay of three seconds prior to the firing signal. Here is the section of the rules, which are now available on line:
10.7 Firing Line Procedures and Commands - When ready to start the firing of a match the Range Officer commands "RELAY NO.1, MATCH NO._ (or naming the match), ON THE FIRING LINE." The competitors in that relay immediately take their assigned places at their firing points and prepare to fire but do not load. The Range Officer then states "THE PREPARATION PERIOD STARTS NOW." Range Officers check the location of each competitor as to correct firing point by comparing the number of each competitor's firing point with the relay and target number on the score card or on the range assignment card. At the end of the 3 minute preparation period the Range Officer states "THE PREPARATION PERIOD HAS ENDED."

The Range Officer having made sure that the range is clear (in timed and rapid fire the targets must be turned out of firing position) then commands "WITH 5 ROUNDS LOAD."

Note: In slow fire events, which are scored after 10 shots, the command should be "10 SHOTS SLOW FIRE, 10 SHOTS IN 10 MINUTES, LOAD." (The number of rounds to be loaded by the competitor in slow fire stages will be determined by the competitor.)

The Range Officer then asks, "IS THE LINE READY?" Any competitor who is not ready or whose target is not in order will immediately raise the non-shooting arm and call, "Not ready on target....

The Range Officer will immediately state, "THE LINE IS NOT READY," and the Range Officer will immediately investigate the difficulty and assist in correcting it. When the difficulty has been corrected, the Range Officer calls, "THE LINE IS READY."

When the Range Officer asks "IS THE LINE READY?" and the line is ready, he then calls, "THE LINE IS READY."

The Range Officer then commands, "READY ON THE RIGHT. READY ON THE LEFT." Competitors may point their guns toward the target after the command, "Ready on the right." The Range Officer will then command, "READY ON THE FIRING LINE." In approximately 3 seconds the targets will be exposed, or the signal to commence firing will be given.

The Range Officer then commands "COMMENCE FIRING" which means to start without delay as timing of the string is started with this command. "COMMENCE FIRING" may be signaled verbally, or by a short sharp blast on a whistle or by moving the targets into view.
A good rhythm of about 2-3 seconds between all commands is a better approach, but the most important is to be consistent across all strings.

However, my coach/mentor long ago told me something that I still pass on to others. Don't get wrapped up in the minor things. If the targets turn, fire.

The link for the NRA rules is:

NRA CONVENTIONAL PISTOL RULES

One last note: a growing number of us carry around cell phones now. Most (if not all) of those phones have a manner to record and play audio. . .

Take Care,
Ed Hall
Air Force Shooting Homepage
Bullseye (and International) Competition Things
CR10XGuest

Post by CR10XGuest »

Ed, the 3 second interval between commands is in the "Note" at the end of section 10.7.

My pet peeve is that most line callers do not use "The range is clear. You may handle your guns." command at the start of the next strings. And most do not use all of the clearing the line / make the guns safe commands.

Cecil
Ed Hall

Post by Ed Hall »

CR10XGuest wrote:Ed, the 3 second interval between commands is in the "Note" at the end of section 10.7.
Good place for it! Seems about nine paragraphs too late.
CR10XGuest also wrote:My pet peeve is that most line callers do not use "The range is clear. You may handle your guns." command at the start of the next strings. And most do not use all of the clearing the line / make the guns safe commands.

Cecil
I must confess to not using the above. It is quite ingrained to use, "Shooters to the Line!" for me. I must re-evaluate my procedures. We should all strive to be consistent with the rules. Not all commands are provided in the book, but those there should be used.

Actually, a pet peeve of mine, isn't with the calling, but with how refires are sometimes handled. The hand sould be raised and refires claimed after the question, "Are there any refires?" You will often see anxious shooters trying to get the attention of the ROs during the string. Even worse is the RO that goes to check the alibi while the string is still being fired.

Thanks Cecil.

Take Care,
Ed Hall
Air Force Shooting Homepage
Bullseye (and International) Competition Things

Post by Guest »

The woman at Range 1, or the man with the deep voice, Range 4 at Camp Perry are in my mind the best. Somebody should record them and either put out an MP3, or transcribe their commands.

It really puts shooters at ease when the commands are thorough and consistent. The NRA rules don't seem to cover all the commands these two people provide.
jackh

Post by jackh »

CRO Hartsock made a book of Perry scripted commands. I got a copy on disc to print the pages. Between these and the rule book, I made a script suitable for my range. Plus a general cheat sheet. Still a lot of situations require some make it up as you go. Nothing beats practice.

Post by Guest »

Last year I spoke with the lady who worked Range 1 on several different occasions. She was very conscientious, and it was obvious that she tried to do her best each day- as a volunteer! All of the range officers deserve more credit then they receive.

Eagerly anticipating this years match!

Thank you!
BDM
Philadelphia

Post by Philadelphia »

CR10XGuest wrote:Ed, the 3 second interval between commands is in the "Note" at the end of section 10.7.

My pet peeve is that most line callers do not use "The range is clear. You may handle your guns." command at the start of the next strings. And most do not use all of the clearing the line / make the guns safe commands.

Cecil
As someone relatively new to NRA matches (lots of SARTS matches), this one always had me confused. Is there some perceived benefit to any ambiguity as to whether the shooters may handle weapons, must make them safe, whether the range is safe or not safe . . . .

The range is not safe (i.e. move forward of the line at your peril); shooters to the line; you may handle your weapons. . . .

Make the range safe (RSOs check and indicate) . . . the range is safe; go forward and score . . .

etc.

I have never heard of an accident at a match (so a data point of one but I do try to keep tabs on such stuff), but despite that, at first I found it extremely odd to have to ask the guy next to me or watch what others were doing to initially figure out what the NRA style commands really meant.
WRC

Hot vs cold

Post by WRC »

While we're on the subject, what's up with this concept of simply saying "the range is hot" or "the range is cold" rather than giving a clear understandable command? I'm all for very specific instructions/commands, and this "hot/cold" business drives me nuts. There is no rulebook or NRA rifle/pistol class description of using this terminology, and I find it too easy to confuse people with it.
CR10XGuest

Post by CR10XGuest »

OK, you have expressed something that I have tried to address and the commands will cover if ALL the commands are used properly.

1> The range is cold, no handling of firearms is premitted is the "normal" condition.
2> The RO will teil you when you can handle your guns and the condition of the range if the recommend commands are used for each string (in the proper order).
3> MY range is ALWAYS safe. it may be CLEAR so you may handle your weapons and fire, but it is NEVER UNSAFE. (See the recommended commands).
4> The line can be declard SAFE if the recommended commands are followed, which will enable shooters to go downrange.
5>If the line has been declared safe, not handling of firearms allow, and shooters allowed downrange, then they need to be told when they return the changing condition of the range and when they can handle their guns.

Therefore use the recommended commands and don't make up ones that are not in the book unless absolutely needed.

Again, I really hate to hear "The range is unsafe!". Makes me want to pack my gun box and leave.

Just my opinion.

Cecil

Post by Guest »

Cecil is exactly right.

"The Range is no longer safe... you may handle your guns..."

Now think about that for a minute.

I wish the NRA would just adopt, in its entirety, the commands used by the woman at Range 1, or the basso supremo guy at Range 4. I'll bet they hear him out on the islands!
jackh

Post by jackh »

This is an excerpt from CRO Hartsock's book

IS THE LINE SAFE ON THE RIGHT?
IS THE LINE SAFE ON THE LEFT?
THE LINE IS SAFE. (FACE TARGETS)

GO FORWARD, SCORE AND CHANGE
TARGETS. (SET TIMER FOR 10 SECONDS)

(WAIT UNTIL ALL CLEAR IS GIVEN BY ASST. C.R.O.)

(EDGE TARGETS)

THE RANGE IS CLEAR,
YOU MAY HANDLE YOUR GUNS.

THIS WILL BE THE RAPID FIRE STAGE,......
SMBeyer

Post by SMBeyer »

I agree with the "unsafe" command on the line. It just doesn't sound good. I think there are enough people out there trying get our guns or shut ranges down and the word "unsafe" being used just gives them more to use against us. We know that at times it would be "unsafe" if you were down range but the LINE should never be "unsafe". Unsafe makes us sound like the local tavern meat shoots where they have half drunk people shooting at cards. Now that is unsafe!
Back to the original post, I downloaded the timed and rapid commands on an mp3 player and used them yesterday to practice. It works great! Sure beats holding the pistol in one hand and a stopwatch in the other. Scott

Post by Guest »

jackh,

That's it! Have you got the whole thing? If so please post!