Les Baer .45

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

SMBeyer

Les Baer .45

Post by SMBeyer »

I received a new Les Baer wad gun a while back and the description say a 3 1/2# crisp trigger. My trigger is anything but "crisp". I was thinking just some use would smooth things out. I only have about 100 shots through it so far and was wondering if there is any ill effects to dryfiring a 1911. I did it a few times today with an empty round in the chamber. Does this seem like a good thing to do or am I wasting my time or worse yet damaging my pistol. Other than the trigger It's a very nice gun. thanks, Scott
melchloboo

Post by melchloboo »

No harm in dry-firing a 1911, it is the best way to practice. An empty round in the chamber is unnecessary, and probably less safe if you accidentally use a live round.

Describe the trigger feeling in more detail. What are you comparing it to, i.e. what pistols do you normally shoot?

I've used a few Les Baer wad guns and the trigger has always broken like a glass rod with no creep, straight from the factory, and Bullseye shooters who have them do well.

My suggestion is if you can find a local shooter classified as Master or High Master (an Expert will do if that's all you can find), let them dry fire your gun. In one shot they will tell you if it is a good trigger job or not. What I mean is it is good to get a second opinion. That way you'll know if it is something you can work with in the short term, and maybe long term you'll star to like it. If ultimately you still don't like it, you can send it out for a custom trigger job with smith who knows how to get the result you want.

I don't think dryfiring is going to "fix" anything or smooth anything out if there really is a problem. Dry fire is great practice, but yes you are wasting your time if there is a problem with the trigger job.

I have read maybe one Bullseye shooter on the net comment that the Les Baer triggers need work out of the box, but as I say, that has not been my experience.

I would think if there is a problem, or it is fine but you absolutely hate it, then LB will probably fix it, they have a good reputation.
SMBeyer

Post by SMBeyer »

Melchloboo, the trigger feel of my Les Baer is creepy. If you dry fire and watch the trigger you can see it move and not have the hammer fall. Ocasionally it will go off without any creep and when it does it's fine. As far as the other pistols i shoot to compare it to: I shoot a Steyr LP-10 which has a very good trigger. I know the pull is 2#'s less than the Les Baer but also very crisp and consistent. For rimfire I shoot an "A" prefix Model 41. My 41 has just a little bit of creep but not like the Les Baer. The 41 has a little creep and goes off. The Les Baer has creep stops and then goes off. This doesn't seem so noticeable in timed and rapid but deffinately noticeable in slow fire. I also have a Series 70 Gold Cup. I feel my Gold Cup trigger is excellent. Just a bit ago I dryfired them both first the Gold Cup and then the Les Baer. The Gold Cup is definately better. I would be thrilled if the Les Baer felt like the Gold Cup. I can have a friend that I shoot with give it a try but I know he wont have good things to say because he shot my Gold Cup a few weeks ago and thought that his Series 80 Gold Cup that has been completely reworked felt better than mine. Scott
2650 Plus

Post Subject

Post by 2650 Plus »

A creepy triger on a LB is not normal as their work is usually meticulus and near perfect out of the box. First thing you should do is give them a call before you do anything to try to correct the creep. Mr Baer is touchy about any one else working on one of his guns and will void your guarantee if you have done so. Good Shooting Bill Horton
melchloboo

Post by melchloboo »

Agreed, what you've described is not the experience I've had with LB pistols at all. Was it new when you got it? Either way, contact LB.
SMBeyer

Post by SMBeyer »

Yes it was brand new when I got it. It's so new I haven't had a chance to send in the warranty card yet. I got it from Champions Choice about a week ago. Thanks for the help I will call them Monday. Scott