Hämmerli 212 Slide Stop Spring

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

zeleny

Hämmerli 212 Slide Stop Spring

Post by zeleny »

I am aware of the need to be VERY careful not to dislodge or bend the Hämmerli 212 (208, etc.) slide stop spring. What is the fix for a dislodged slide stop spring that won't stay in place?

--
Michael Zeleny@post.harvard.edu -- http://larvatus.livejournal.com/ -- 7576 Willow Glen Road, Los Angeles, CA 90046 -- 323.363.1860
All of old. Nothing else ever. Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better. -- Samuel Beckett
solomon grundy

Post by solomon grundy »

I don't know, but can recommend that you contact Larry's or Roco for some expert advice.

http://www.larrysguns.com

http://www.rocosystem.com/
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

A missing slide stop spring is not likely to cause any damage or malfunctions - only some inconvenience.
My 208 went many years without until I obtained some spares at the Walther/Hammerli stand at a European World Cup.

If the spring will not stay in place it is almost certainly mis-shaped (i.e. damaged). Replacement is the route.
zeleny

Post by zeleny »

I have two replacement springs on the way from RoCo. Being used to native Swiss handgun designs, I find this German Walther Olympia derivative a bit fussy. Time will tell how it holds up in my hands.
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

zeleny wrote:I have two replacement springs on the way from RoCo. Being used to native Swiss handgun designs, I find this German Walther Olympia derivative a bit fussy. Time will tell how it holds up in my hands.
From an obvious fan of these pistols, expect reliability, accuracy, and with reasonable ammunition, lack of excuses (any 'bad' shot will be your own doing)

Spencer
(blatant 208 admirer/owner)
zeleny

Post by zeleny »

Spencer wrote:From an obvious fan of these pistols, expect reliability, accuracy, and with reasonable ammunition, lack of excuses (any 'bad' shot will be your own doing)
I got that impression from my first shooting session. The two-stage trigger action is a lot easier to control than that of my Browning Medalist. However, reports of fractured slides are causing some concern. The gun parts feel dainty in comparison to less refined designs.
Tycho

Post by Tycho »

Fractured slides? On a 208? That would be a completely new one. Only problems I've heard of are with the SP20. Can't kîll a 208 with standard ammo.
zeleny

Post by zeleny »

Tycho wrote:Can't kîll a 208 with standard ammo.
What's the excuse for making any pistol chambered for 22 l.r. too fragile for high velocity ammo?

Is the 212 no stronger than the 208 in this regard?
Tycho

Post by Tycho »

The 212 has the same slide as the 208 and the 215. Why build a target pistol for high velocity ammo? Nobody in his right mind would use it, as it's less precise, costs more and damages the equipment - ?
zeleny

Post by zeleny »

Tycho wrote:Why build a target pistol for high velocity ammo?
Because it is sold as a Jägerschaftspistole.
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

zeleny wrote:
Tycho wrote:Why build a target pistol for high velocity ammo?
Because it is sold as a Jägerschaftspistole.
my manual states 'please do not use any high velocity ammunition as your accurate target pistol might suffer damage'
zeleny

Post by zeleny »

Spencer wrote:my manual states 'please do not use any high velocity ammunition as your accurate target pistol might suffer damage'
Does your manual cover the 212 model? It seems strange to make a hunting pistol that cannot digest high velocity ammunition.
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

made the mistake of ASSUMING that a 212 was part of the H208-215 series - it isn't. From the pics I have found, the 212 seems different in most respects.
Unfortunately, Walther does not list a manual for the 212 (type in 'hammerli' at http://www.carl-walther.de/index.php?co ... &do=search)
Tycho

Post by Tycho »

Now that is some new info there. In what respects are there major differences between the 208 and the 212? Please enlighten me. The 212 was built as "Jägerschaftspistole", right, which is a very much academic shooting match of one of those german shooting associations. That is why the sights are simpler and the grip is not anatomic. Basic design and all relevant parts are pretty much the same as in the 208.
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

similar, but?
the trigger mechanism looks of interest
http://www.knappworst.com/popup_image.p ... cb794c4e9e
zeleny

Post by zeleny »

Tycho wrote:Basic design and all relevant parts are pretty much the same as in the 208.
Is the recoil spring identical to that of the 208?
zeleny

Post by zeleny »

Spencer wrote:the trigger mechanism looks of interest
That is a safety lever.
Andyd

Post by Andyd »

While it is called Jägerschaftspistole, that does not mean that it is supposed to be used for hunting but for a special discipline of the DJV, the German hunter's orgaization. It is a timed event, 3 seconds at 25 m, drawing and shooting at the old silhouette duel target.

It was designed as a competition pistol and is still used for that in Germany, together with the Erma 85 series.

A friend of mine has over 40,000 rounds through his Hämmerli 208 and never had any mechanical problem, other that the slide stop is now worn.