Merit Optical Attachment

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

bebloomster

Merit Optical Attachment

Post by bebloomster »

Just wondering how useful others find this adjustable iris. Tried one for the first time tonight... didn't help my score a bit but I could sure see the red dot a lot clearer. Thinking of buying one. Those of you that have used one.... do you still use it regularly? Or would the Ahg blinder with the adjustable iris be a better option?
Kirmdog

Post by Kirmdog »

I found that it never helped with a red dot, what it does do is make iron sights clear for me and suprizingly the black on the target too. All of this at the same time without having to shift my vision back and forth between rear and front sight and target.
Bob-Riegl

Post by Bob-Riegl »

I use the Merit iris for Bullseye shooting with a dot sight---it does make the dot sharper. As far as irons on either rifles or pistols I could not shoot without one and I have had cataract surgery on both eyes and still need a prescription or the iris for shooting purposes. I use Champions for AP & FP. "Doc"
2650 Plus

Merit disc

Post by 2650 Plus »

Reference Kirmdogs post. You can get away with looking at the target as you settle into your hold area, but you should never switch fron focus on the front sight until the shot has fired. In NRA timed and rapid fire the focus should remain fixed on the front sight for all five shots. Remember that the target is the only thing that dosen't move so you must concentrate only on those things that do move. Settle and hold the pistol as still as possible.your front sight should be in sharpest focus and the target should be a grey fuzzy blob. Start pressure on the trigger before your hold stbilizes.and continue the steadily increasing pressure until the gun fires.Have your mind concentrate on perfecting sight allignment and stay with that issue until well after the shot has fired. Good Shooting Bill Horton
Kirmdog

Post by Kirmdog »

Sorry I should have stated that I focus on the front sight also but I can see clearly the rear sight and the target all at the same time when I use the Merit Iris WITHOUT SHIFTING BACK AND FORTH. The reference to shifting back and forth between sights and target was only to illustrate how clear the iris makes my sight picture compaired to without using it.

Thank you Mr Horton for writing correctly what I should have clearly stated in my first post.