converting match gun to service pistol

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

snell

converting match gun to service pistol

Post by snell »

I am a service rifle shooter and this is my first foray into the bulllseye pistol world so please bear with me.
Several years ago I acquired a Springfield 1911 A1 that had been done over by George Madore. It has been fitted with an Ultra Dot optical sight, a combat style hammer, has had the grip stippled and the trigger has been worked on(and been drilled with three holes) and breaks right at 3 1/2#. I'm sure there has been more tweaking done then meets the eye but they are the obvious ones.
My question is about shooting this pistol in CMP leg matches. I know that the optical sight and the hammer have to go, that much is obvious. I've seen no prohibition on the drilled trigger and I believe any interior "careful fitting" would be consistant with CMP service rifle/pistol tradition. Am I right so far?
What would be the recommendation for a leg match legal set of sights? The pistol currently has a front sight with a dot on it, should this be replaced when I pull the optical off? I'm not sure if the CMP allows sights with dots. Lastly, do you know of any quality pistol smiths in the South Jersey/Eastern Pa area who can replace the hammer and tweak the pull to bring it in at the requried 4#?
Generally, does this seem a worthwhile project? I've been led to believe that Mr. Madore's work was considered first rate. Would I be better off selling off this pistol to a NRA bullseye shooter and getting a dedicated leg gun?
I really appreciate any help. thanks.

Art
JLK

Post by JLK »

Here's the CMP rule book for the Distinguished Rifle and Pistol programs.

http://www.odcmp.com/Competitions/Rulebook.pdf

It should answer all your questions regarding the legality of parts and pieces.
Misny

Post by Misny »

If it were me, I'd trade or sell the gun and buy a dedicated ball gun. I think it a shame to fiddle with a gun like this from a terrific smith who has left us. Sell it to someone who wants it for NRA 2700 matches.
6string

Post by 6string »

A well built 1911 hardball gun is, relatively speaking, a much less expensive proposition than most competitive pistols. An "over-the-counter" hardball pistol such as a Les Baer or Springfield Custom Shop (who do very nice custom work) typically run around $1500. Clark custom guns can build a hardball gun for about $800 on a stock 1911. I've seen a couple of AMU built hardball guns, like the ones they used to offer for sale at the national matches in the '60s for about $1000 or less. I wouldn't be surprised if the money you'd get for your Madore wad gun would more than pay for a nice hardball pistol. You'd get what you want, preserve the nice work of Mr. Madore, and perhaps have some cash in pocket rather than out of pocket.
Just personal opinion....

Best Regards,
Jim
Slomo Belvedicci

Post by Slomo Belvedicci »

Here's a table describing the restrictions - http://www.bullseyepistol.com/dcm.htm

If I understand your description, it doesn't seem like you'd have to ruin the pistol to adapt it as a hardball gun.

EGW is in Eastern PA. Mountain Competition is in Tannersville. Mark Hartshorne is nearby, but I think that he's only working on revolvers now.

Also see Services here - http://www.njpistol.com/

Mary at NJ Pistol would be a good person to contact for advice.
snell

Post by snell »

Well, the consensus here (and Mary's as well) is that the Madore pistol is to much of a classic to mess with. Thanks for your thoughts and observations & it looks like I will be in the market for a dedicated hardballer. Once I get an idea of how much I'll have to spend on that new pistol I will likely put the Madore up for sale.
Thanks again,

Art