Jackie Best 1911's

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

hill987

Jackie Best 1911's

Post by hill987 »

Hi, Does anybody remember Jackie and anything about the hardball or bullseye guns he built for AMU or others he may have built for shooting competition thanks J. G. Expert 2700
Attachments
best.jpg
2650 Plus

Jacky Best

Post by 2650 Plus »

Jack was a personal friend for some years but I have lost contact with him . The last I heard of him he was building match pistols somewhere in north Georgia. Good Shooting Bill Horton
pistol1911

Jackie Best

Post by pistol1911 »

Jackie past away many years ago.I have a wad gun he built for me in 1984.
BEA

Jackie Best

Post by BEA »

I have a wad gun that Jackie built for me in 1979 and it shoots good...have broken 880 with it. Jackie's guns weren't fancy but they shot well. He lived in Columbus, GA. I wanted to learn how to build 45's so he invited me down for a week in the summer of 1980, picked me up at the airport, loaned me a car to drive back and forth to the motel and fed me lunch each day. Prior to that, we had only talked on the phone. He had no idea what kind of snot nosed wanna be was going to show up. He was very accomodating and I was always very appreciative. I think he came down with cancer in about 1982 or so and passed away in just a few months. I stated to him one time that his guns shot as good or better than anyone elses, so why don't you charge more. He said he just wanted to build guns for regular guys for a reasonable price...and he did. He could be kind of crusty at times, as gunsmiths are, but I always saw through that, knowing of the kindness he has shown me. I will be shooting the gun he build for me at Camp Perry this summer.

Hey Jackie! We are talking about you.
hill987

Best 1911's

Post by hill987 »

I'm glad to hear there are others out there that have either met or had some of Jacky's guns. Mine was built in June of 1990. From another source, I heard that he passed away shortly after that. So, cancer was why he had passed. He always signed his barrels and put serial numbers on the barrels to match the frame. Sounds like he was an exceptional guy. I purchased mine from a distinguished master that was on the army team for many years. He had purchased it from a team member that had just had it built. So, the gun has been sitting in a closet for 10+ years, until I got it. It is a great shooter. It can definitely outshoot me. I'm currently using it for matches and received an expert card last October with it. Hopefully, I will make master by the end of the year, if the scores keep climbing like they are. I wish I had the opportunity to have met him. Thanks for the responses.
Rover

Post by Rover »

I left my Gold Cup with him to rebuild while I was at Camp Perry in 1984.

I told him the National Champion (Max Barrington) said that he was the second best 'smith in the country. Naturally, he wanted to wanted to know who was the best. I said Max told me to say that so he wouldn't get a swelled head.

His name said it all.
john bickar

Post by john bickar »

BEST GUNS SHOOT

Jack was a good friend of my father's and built guns for my father, my uncle, and many of my father's friends. In 1991, he built the wad gun that I still shoot. I shot it as he built it for ~15 years before it needed to be rebuilt last year after a long life of admirable service.

Among other things, I broke 2600 for the first time with that gun and still have my current PB in CF/.45 and a 2700 with it.

I bought another Best wad gun off of Gunbroker a couple of years ago just because I could.

Jack passed away in the early '90s, shortly before my father did, I believe. He was a good gunsmith and a good man.

It's cool to hear people's stories.
2650 Plus

Jackie Best

Post by 2650 Plus »

I'd like to relate a story Jackie told me around 1960. During the Chinese spring offensive in the Korean war Jackie said he became trapped behind enemy lines for almost two weeks. He was in a bunker and for days could hear chinese soldiers walking around on the top of his bunker, but none ever entered the bunker. Finally when the forward edge of the battle area was resecurred he was returned to US control. He was not only a good gunsmith, he was lucky beyond belief. And as I mentioned before ,he was a good friend. I am sorry to learn of his death. Good Shooting Jackie. Bill Horton
continental

Post by continental »

I read here from time to time as my bullseye shooting is way past prime, but I couldn't help but to chime in on what a great guy Jack Best was. I still have a couple of his wadguns built for me. The #1wadgun still shoots plenty tight for indoors after 15,000 + rounds, so much so that I haven't really fired the backup wadgun I had him make. Those who knew Jackie will appreciate this little story....When I first talked to him on the phone and was asking many newbie questions trying to get an understanding if I wanted a wad gun that also shot ball or a ballgun that also shot well with wad loads...Jack answered all my questions and then offered..."If you really want to get into this game, you will soon find yourself up to your ass in guns." His way of telling me to let him built me the best wadgun he knew and then allow him to build the best hardball gun. I had the priveledge to meet him at Pistol week at Perry a couple years running before he died and saw him methodically working triggers from his shop on commercial row late into the evening. I knew he died some years ago and I am not at all surprised to hear that even after 10-15 years later so many others who meet the man valued his skill as a pistolsmith and his genuine friendship with customers...all far too rare in business today.