Where I got my new hardball gun

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

Philadelphia

Where I got my new hardball gun

Post by Philadelphia »

I've seen a few people asking about hardball guns so I thought I'd throw this in. Also, when I get good service I don't hesitate to share the good experience.

I decided on the Les Baer hardball. After some research, seemed to me the place to buy was from John at Proload Distributors. (208) 772-2339. John had the pistol in stock and once my FFL sent the requisite paperwok, by next day it was at my local gun store ready for me to pick up. I'd also mention that John went out of his way to make sure I was kept up to date on every step of the process. Made the whole deal a pleasure from start to finish.

I'm very happy with this pistol and with the service from Proload. Plus the test target that came with the pistol had most of the shots in a cloverleaf with the few outliers bringing the total group size to exactly 2". My next task is to try to duplicate whatever load Les used to produce that with ball ammo.
2650 Plus

Hard ball Gun

Post by 2650 Plus »

A good hard ball gun should shoot slightly less than three inch ten shot groups at fifty yards. I have found that many hard ball guns will be able to shoot two inch groups with the best wadcutter loads also ten round groups at fifty yards. I have not been in favor of twenty five yard tests as most any fairly tight slide and well fitted barell will shoot X-ring sized groups at that distance. Good Shooting with your new pistol. Bill Horton
Philadelphia

Post by Philadelphia »

50 yards it is for working up loads. I plan to break it in with 100 rounds of factory fodder and then clean it and switch to lead heads for training and practice. I have a few pounds of Titegroup but was thinking of buying a pound of Bullseye powder to try -- "everyone" seems to use that.

Les guarantees it will shoot 10 shot 3" groups at 50 yds. with ball ammo. The test target that came with it is a nice looking 2" group -- I hope to be able to duplicate that with my own loads. Shall soon see I guess.

If you have a favorite load, I'd appreciate any and all suggestions to get started. I have a big box of Dardas 230 gn LRNs just itching to go.

Thanks.
GOVTMODEL

Post by GOVTMODEL »

Try the Winchester .45-230 FMJ over 4.8 grains of WST.
Philadelphia

Post by Philadelphia »

GOVTMODEL wrote:Try the Winchester .45-230 FMJ over 4.8 grains of WST.
Thanks. Will try it. For next week I plan a trip to a local place that stocks a variety of powders and will pick up a pound of WST and maybe another to try.

Today I tried 230 gn leadheads over 4.0 gn Titegroup (what I happened to have already loaded and boxed). Not a definitive test by any means (offhand with an unfamiliar gun) but it does seem that .45 is a lot more forgiving than 9mm as regards load development / accuracy. Is this generally the case or did I just get lucky?

My basic philosophy is to try to avoid too much tinkering with stuff and stick to shooting it, but that all breaks down when it comes to loading. :)
GOVTMODEL

Post by GOVTMODEL »

Philadelphia wrote:
GOVTMODEL wrote:Try the Winchester .45-230 FMJ over 4.8 grains of WST.
Not a definitive test by any means (offhand with an unfamiliar gun) but it does seem that .45 is a lot more forgiving than 9mm as regards load development / accuracy. Is this generally the case or did I just get lucky?
The common theme of 9mm reloaders is that it is much more sensitive than the .45ACP to variations in brass dimensions, etc.