38spl vs. 45acp for center fire match

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

jtg

38spl vs. 45acp for center fire match

Post by jtg »

Ok, so in another post we are discussing a 38spl gun. I always hear how the Model 52 is so unforgiving to shoot. So what advantage was/is everyone after by going to the 38spl. Other than less recoil (which could be managed with proper reloads) what are the advantages, cost, accuracy?
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

No advantages at all unless you are the type of person who only shoots 1800's and pretty much only indoors, because if recoil is your issue, you are going to be toast in the 45 match anyway. Most if not all of the master class shooters shoot their 45 in Center Fire because they only have to deal with two guns and don't have to learn a third gun or do another set of different caliber reloads. They have confidence that their 45 will shoot at 50 yards. Most 32’s and 38's will keyhole and spread a pretty wide pattern at 50 yards unless they have been modified with a barrel with a twist rate that will shoot at 50 yards.
bebloomster

Post by bebloomster »

The main reason I went for a Model 52 is that I already reload 38 Spl so wouldn't have to invest a whole lot on that end. I've always liked the Model 52... just a real classy pistol. Don't have too much trouble with mine at 50 yards... but then again I don't shoot "Master" class either.

Post by Guest »

I play with my M52 because it adds enjoyment to the hobby.
Although I usually shoot a .45 for centerfire the M52 is teaching me
a lot about my technique in practice and I'm close to shooting matches
with it.
As far as accuracy, mine with the H&G 50 that I cast myself and 3.0 gr WST is at least as accurate as my Clark Heavy Slide and Long Heavy Slide.
No keyholing or spreading any wide patterns at 50 yds.
I guess it just boils down to I like to shoot...anything!
:-)
JLK
GaryN

Post by GaryN »

A disadvantage of the 38 is a "slightly" smaller hole.
A VERY near miss with a 38 could be a line nicker with a 45, giving you an extra point.

I did read someplace that the army had to raise their EXPERT requirements, as soldiers shooting the 9mm Berretta were getting higher scores compared to when they were shooting the 45ACP 1911.
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

GaryN wrote:A disadvantage of the 38 is a "slightly" smaller hole.
A VERY near miss with a 38 could be a line nicker with a 45, giving you an extra point.

I did read someplace that the army had to raise their EXPERT requirements, as soldiers shooting the 9mm Berretta were getting higher scores compared to when they were shooting the 45ACP 1911.

There is no doubt that as a ball gun the 9mm Beretta is superior to a 1911, Especially a rack grade, shot out, 1911 which is mostly what the army had on hand in the late 80's when I was there. However, there is a huge difference between a combat qualification shot at 25 yards or less and a bullseye match. I have an accurized Beretta that will shoot as good of groups as my Caspian 45 that I use for bullseye. I am not even tempted to use the Beretta as a Center Fire gun for a couple of reasons. Namely, it has a four pound trigger for LEG matches which is just enough heavier to be of some disatvantage, it does not "feel" like my 45 with the double stack grip, and it has a short sharp kick which is not necessarily harder than the 45 wad gun but is different enough that I don't want to pick it up for CF right after my 22 and then follow it immediately with my wad gun. I am starting to average in the low 800's with my 45 and think that there is nothing to be gained by adding a third gun and certainly a lot to be potentially lost especially on those days where I shoot a complete 2700 in one day. I could correct some of the issues with the 9mm for bulleye by using a dedicated 9mm with a lighter trigger and work up some loads that would have less kick than my hardball ammo but I don't think there is enough to be gained.
I love to shoot a Model 52. I used to own one and it was my favorite gun but my basic philosphy is the less I have to worry about that is external to my actual shooting, the more I can focus on what I am doing on the firing line and the better I get. Every gun has quirky issues that must be learned and overcome. It took me a year to figure out exactly how to eliminate alabis with my AW-93. Adding another gun to the equation in my opinion more than doubles potential issues that might distract me on the firing line. Isabel