Lead or Jacketed .22 Bullets

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

RobG

Lead or Jacketed .22 Bullets

Post by RobG »

Hi List,
Fairly new to this forum, and this is my first post to it. I have a question as to .22 lr bullet types to use in my semi auto, rim fire pistols. Is it better to use lead or jacketed bullets? I noticed the better quality, and consequently higher priced .22 bullets, are made from lead. Can anyone explain the reason for not producing higher quality jacketed bullets? Is lead easier on the rifling? Does it hug the rifling better than jacketed bullets, and thus more accurate on the field? I did a search on TargetTalk but to no avail.
I love (not romantically) this forum, and have gleaned much knowledge from all members who contribute generously their knowledge and camaraderie to others who are just starting out in Bullseye.
Sincerely,
Rob G.
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

1. All present .22 lr (and long and short) cartridges that you can buy, use bullets that are made of lead. Jacketed bullets were only loaded in rather limited production during WW II for special purposes.

2. All target and match quality ammunition uses unplated (ungalvanized) lead bullets.

3. Copper-plated or brass-plated bullets are usually found in HV ammunition (with the odd exception, like Armscor using a copper-washed HP for their subsonic load), but these are still not "jacketed".

Alexander