model 41 issue

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

SMBeyer

model 41 issue

Post by SMBeyer »

I shot a match with a friend today who shoots a S&W model 41. He hadn't shot it for about 10 years prior. He cleaned it up and I know he lubed it because I could see the white grease working off the back of the slide. The problem he is having is it is not staying open after the last round. I think he had 3 mags on the table and it wouldn't stay open with any of them. He was shooting Federal Gold Medal Target 711 from back when we shot more and I don't believe he had any problems back then. Anybody got any ideas what the problem is? Doesn't seem like it would be something major. Thanks, Scott.
2650 Plus

Smith 41

Post by 2650 Plus »

Had the same problem with 711b corrected the problem by switching recoil springs. I went to a 6 lb spring and all is well. Good Shooting Bill Horton
SMBeyer

Post by SMBeyer »

Bill, thanks for the reply I will let him know and see if that fixes things. Scott
bebloomster

Post by bebloomster »

Had that problem when I switched to a set of custom made grips... they were pressing against the slide release to the point where the slide would not lock back. Just eased the wood a bit with a fingernail emery board and it has worked fine ever since.
Misny

Post by Misny »

Another possibility is the grease. He might try removing the grease and re-lubing with a light oil like FP-10.