Where to spend money on upgrades...

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

stlshooter

Where to spend money on upgrades...

Post by stlshooter »

I am shooting a Browning Buckmark and have decided to upgrade that for the time being until I graduate college and can afford a better gun.

Currently the gun is stock except for a trigger job. My question is; where do I spend my money? Because this gun will be used for Bullseye, the choice comes down to a Fung Grip or an Ultradot.

Eventually I will probably buy both but one will come in more handy sooner and I don't know which.

Thanks,
HB
william

Post by william »

By all means - grip. A better fitting gun will help you with your hold and should allow you to spend more of your effort on sight alignment and trigger release. A red dot will help your scores but (IMHO) do nothing for your fundamentals.

Also, if there is any ISSF type shooting in your area, you could use your Browning for free pistol, standard pistol and rapid fire pistol. With the dot installed, no go.

Hope this helps.
stlshooter

Post by stlshooter »

Thanks for the reply, and that's what I was thinking. I shoot a lot of air pistol as well and feel that going with the dot would likely destroy my ability to shoot irons in the long run. Id like to find a better set of sights for the Buckmark but I may be able to adapt the stock ones or have some made or modified.

Thanks,
HB
hill987

upgrade

Post by hill987 »

I had a buckmark once but it seem to lite to me, had problems with timed and rapid. I bought a 106 high standard tournment for 400.00 and it was readly to go. good weight, accurate and has great trigger. I shot it for years and now have give to my son. I sent it to texas where they put in new spring kit, ejector, firing pin and clip spring, not bad for a 52 year old gun. It was shooting ok before I sent it but I wanted to give him a refreshed gun I got it back friday and shot today and was good as new The boys in texas did good work in less than 2 weeks turnaround all for 150.00 That's a lot of life for that old gun should be readly for another 52 years. it will hold x ring at 25 no problem with open sights and the grips have thumb rest and grips are stippled. Same grip as the 45. I still see them for sale on line for near that price good luck
stlshooter

Post by stlshooter »

Thanks for the reply but I have to stick with the buckmark for now. I've shot a HS and it pretty much seemed like a refined buckmark, a nice gun for sure.

HB
Wiley-X

Post by Wiley-X »

In college? So I'm guessing that you're pretty young. At least younger than 30. If so, you're eyes are probably still working well.

If that is the case, stick with iron sights until you can't see the front sight anymore which will happen shortly after age 40. I'm a firm believer that you need to master iron sights before switching to a dot sight. Why? It all comes down to fundamentals and sights are part of the fundamentals. Also if you take on a discipline that uses iron sights later and you've been using a dot all along, you'll have to learn irons anyway.

I like Fung Grips. Randall made a set of grips for me about 20 years ago. Loved them then, love them now. Good grips made a big difference.
2650 Plus

Sequenve of upgrading priority

Post by 2650 Plus »

1. trigger job 2.Accuracy test and correction as needed. 3. verify that sight adjustments really are precise and replace if necessary. 4.correcr or replace grips if necessary. 5 ammo tests to determine what the firearm likes best. 6. Shoot the hell out of it and determine if it works for me. if it dosen't start all over. Good Shooting Bill Horton