wst load for same impact point at 25 and 50 yards.

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

southerncomforthemi

wst load for same impact point at 25 and 50 yards.

Post by southerncomforthemi »

Hi..I am using lswc 160gr short line and 185 gr long line....1911.

I currently use WST powder 4.3 gr and longline with 185gr.

What load would give me same impact point without sight adjustment.

Any thoughts.
Rover

Post by Rover »

You should be selecting your load on the basis of accuracy and reliability.

Go ahead and adjust the sights if needed.
RJP

Load for 25 & 50 yards

Post by RJP »

Rover,

While southerncomforthemi is absolutly correct, I have an answer for you.

Any load that will drive a bullet about 800 fps will work. The trajectory is about the same regardless of bullet weight from 185 to 200 grains.

Sight in at 85 yards to point of impact and hold sub-6 with iron sights about one ring into the white for both 25 and 50 yards.

This works because the black on the 25 and 50 yard centers are different sizes. The 25 yards sight I aim 4 inches below center and for 50 yards I aim 5 & 1/2 inches below center. This is one white ring below the black. The trajectory of the bullet takes care of point of impact.

If you use lighter bullets or use a dot sight mounted higher above the barrel, you may have to adjust your true point of impact. Get a trajectory progrem and put in some numbers and see what happens.
RJP

Oops

Post by RJP »

Correction,

This message is for southerncomforthemi.

and

Rover is absolutely correct.

It is too early in the morning for me to be wide awake!!
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

the biggest problem with using two different loads and I am one who does it, is that you need to makes sure that both loads function well with the same spring in your gun. You don't want your long line loads banging the snot out of your slide because they are too hot for the spring in your gun and you also don't want your short line loads stove piping during sustained fire. I consider maintaining the same sight adjustment for both distances to be of minor or no importance and here is why. A change in bullet and powder can move your point of impact on the target more than up and down. It can also move it left and right. I was sighting in a new gun at 25 yards the other day and I had a load that was 3.7 g of Clays over a 160g Valiant bullet and they were going right into the x ring. Only problem was my spring was too heavy to eject the rounds in the gun because I had recently had a slide mounted dot installed. To see if another load I had would function the slide I shot ten bullets of a 180g bullet over 4.2g of Titegroup. The bullets grouped fine but my group was no longer in the x ring. It was at 11 oclock just touching the seven ring. You will also find that your rounds are very temperture sensitive. You might have a day that it is 65 degrees and your loads are such that you don't have to adjust your sights between the long and the short line and then you will be out there on a 95 degree day and guess what? the hotter day has increased the velocity of your rounds and you no longer have the same poi without adjusting your sights. My motto, is to be flexible and learn when to adjust your sights and when not to. This is a process I am still learning. Usually if I am off at the short line. it has way more to do with me changing my grip or my trigger pull than my sights. Best advice I can give you is that most of the best bullseye shooters use the same load for both lines because then they are dealing with one variable when they change from the long to the short line. Some of us who think that we gain an advantage by using a very light load at the short line for better sustained fire need to be prepared for other things to not be the same on any given day. Isabel
2650 Plus

Post Subject

Post by 2650 Plus »

Recommend youinvest in a cheap screw driver that fits the adjustment slot in your sights. Good Shootig Bill Horton