Smith and Wesson Model 52-2 Dot Mount

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

danoinmn

Smith and Wesson Model 52-2 Dot Mount

Post by danoinmn »

I am thinking about putting a red dot on my S&W 52-2. I am looking at the BME mounts. I have seen "Cal Grip" grip mount but don't know where to find one. Anyone have other recommendations for 52-2 mounts?
Attachments
52-2 new.jpg
BME SW52-BWR001.jpg
BME SW52-BWR001.jpg (33.06 KiB) Viewed 5971 times
Last edited by danoinmn on Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Misny

Post by Misny »

I have a BME mount on my 52-1. It is the one that attaches to the frame via the grooves in the dust cover for the weights. It works well and didn't require modification to the gun. The only drawback is that the scope sits up pretty high compared to my 1911 slide-mounted scope.

Post by Guest »

I have the BME that mounts in the dovetail where the iron sight s are on the slide. Have had no problems and does not alter the gun.....bob v
hill987

52 mount

Post by hill987 »

I was also thinking of mounting scope on my 52 if you guys don't mind maybe add pics of what the mount looks like on your guns I called Clark and told me they would not mount on slide and frame mount was detrimental to the frame I'm curious what the bme mounts look like on the guns. The one that goes in place of the rear sight looks kind of short and would set the ultradot back too far. And the other guy mentioned that the frame mount set the scope up too high over the gun. Like to know what that would look like on the gun.
6string

Post by 6string »

Have you ever seen the "Docter" dot sight? Don Nygord originally sold them in the USA. They are smaller and lighter than a typical dot sight with a tubular scope body. In fact, they are not much bigger than the rear sight itself. The nice thing about them is, because of their small size and weight, mounting them only requires removing the rear sight, replacing that with a small plate that interfaces between the sight dovetail and the sight itself. The balance and weight is barely any different than the gun with iron sights.

http://www.docterusa.com/_mgxroot/page_10767.html

PS: I recently saw either a Leopold or Burris sight of the "Docter" design. Same idea, but much less $$$.

Post by Guest »

If someone can point me to the instructions for posting pictures I'll try to put up a picture of my M52-2 with BME mount.
JLK
FredB

Post by FredB »

Misny wrote:I have a BME mount on my 52-1. It is the one that attaches to the frame via the grooves in the dust cover for the weights. It works well and didn't require modification to the gun. The only drawback is that the scope sits up pretty high compared to my 1911 slide-mounted scope.
Misny,
Does it sit that high so the front sight can reciprocate underneath it? If so, I wonder if it could be redesigned to hold the scope further to the rear where it wouldn't have to clear the front sight?
FredB
mstuhr

BME

Post by mstuhr »

Howdy,
I have a BME frame mount. It is working well.
If you look behind the rear sight where the top of the slide meets the side of the slide (both sides) you will see a corner that I relieved ever so slightly.
This allows me to pull the safety and rear sight at cleaning time and remove the slide in a normal manner with out taking the mount off.
On my gun it was so little that a polish and Oxpho-Blue makes it undetectable and saves me from having to sight back in after cleaning.
If I get caught up later I will try to add pictures.
Mike
You can see the area behind the sight blade that need relieved. Not for the collector but not a bad mod for the shooter grade gun.
Good luck
Mike
Last edited by mstuhr on Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
hill987

Post by hill987 »

Anonymous wrote:If someone can point me to the instructions for posting pictures I'll try to put up a picture of my M52-2 with BME mount.
JLK

Hi you can go to browse click it and put pics in and hit the add attachment and your all set pics have to be 256kb or smaller or 1.2 image size

Post by Guest »

mstuhr,
May I ask what manufacture grips those are?
Thanks!
mstuhr

Nill Griffe

Post by mstuhr »

Hi Guest,
They are Nill Griffe.
I have a set of the same size on another gun and love them. These are not as comfortable. I am still trying to decide if I will keep the 52. It shoots great but I dont shoot it as well as I think I should. If I get more comfortable with it I might adjust on them some and it should improve the feel.
I'd like to keep them in factory condition for now in the event I sell the gun.
Thanks
Mike
danoinmn

52-2 Dot Mount

Post by danoinmn »

Great posts and info, I have considered the Docter and it's rear sight mount. I just haven't seen many using that, any comments on how it's woiring??? That is a sharp looking 52 with the Nill's Mike (mstuhr)... It's good t o know that the slide can be removed with removing the BME mount every time cleaning is required...
Attachments
BME 52-2 Docter Mount.jpg

Post by Guest »

danoinmn,
May I ask what grips you have on yours at the top of the page?
danoinmn

52 grips

Post by danoinmn »

the grips on mine are vintage Herret's with the large thumb rest. nice grips for what i paid. i really like the Rink's and Nill's but haven't popped for those yet...