To rib or not?

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

bebloomster

To rib or not?

Post by bebloomster »

I've a 1950's vintage S&W K-38 with the standard "heavy" 6" barrel. I use it both for Steel Challenge and Bullseye matches... just a matter of which grips I put on it.

I recently found a Bo-Mar rib that was made for that particular barrel. It's the rib with the "winged" front sight. What would be the pro's and con's of installing this rib? Personally I just think they look really neat.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Looking "neat" will add 10 points to your score, just like racing stripes will increase your cars horsepower.
Wiley-X

Post by Wiley-X »

Actually, racing stripes create a wave of ultra-coolness in front of the car which pulls the car along at a higher speed.

As I understand it the rib did a couple things, it gave you a better sight picture and a better sight for adjustments. Also, it raised the sighting plane a bit which can help.
Misny

Post by Misny »

The rib would have the advantages of additional weight and better adjustments. The downside would be that you are altering a nice gun which they haven't made in a while and the value will be adversely affected. The NRA conventional pistol rules allow the rib for 2700's, but if you want to shoot distinguished revolver or a Harry Reeves match, you won't be allowed to use that revolver.
JamesH

Post by JamesH »

Don't mess up a nice old K38.

Get a model 10, rebarrel it and put the rib on.