.45 Long Colt vs. .45acp

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

feinwerk

.45 Long Colt vs. .45acp

Post by feinwerk »

Has anyone compared the .45 long Colt ctg. with the .45AR for precision? I am interested in using either in revolver matches.
2650 Plus

Post Subject

Post by 2650 Plus »

I can only comment about the 45 ACP. I know what it will do and do not know about the long colt . Therefore I can only recommend the former. Good Shooting Bill Horton
6string

Post by 6string »

I've compared a couple S&W 25-2 (45 ACP) to one S&W 25-5 (45 long Colt). As a huge fan of the 45 acp, I hate to admit that in this one case, the 25-5 was the much better shooter. You can debate about case capacity and powder density, but with 45 revolvers it's all about chamber throat diameter and bore diameter. The reason I say 45 revolvers is due to the tremendous variety and mismatching that tends to occur in .45 revolvers by Smith, Colt and Ruger. The 25-2s, at least the 2 I shot, had .457" or so chamber throats and .451 bore and .450" bore. You just can't make that shoot! The 25-5 had .452" cylinder throats and a .451" bore, perfect for precision assuming they line up. I have a Ruger Blackhawk that is fun to use for informal 900 course or national match course. It has two cylinders (ACP and Long Colt) that both shoot equally well. (I did have to ream out the cylinder throats from .450" to .452", though.)
Interestingly, I had an old S&W .455 Eley Hand Ejector that shot very well. It had .457" cylinder throats and bore. I had to cast my own slugs, but it would shoot 2.5" to 3" groups at 50 yards (with fixed sights).

I've heard of others who have had the reverse experience with ACP vs. Long Colt. Some 25-2 are set up right, some of the early 25-5 had oversized cylinder throats. You just have to closely examine the gun.
GOVTMODEL

Re: .45 Long Colt vs. .45acp

Post by GOVTMODEL »

feinwerk wrote:Has anyone compared the .45 long Colt ctg. with the .45AR for precision? I am interested in using either in revolver matches.
Are you referring to the NRA Distinguished Revolver Match? If yes, check the rule on what caliber is allowed:-)
SIGP240

45AR vs 45LC

Post by SIGP240 »

I would offer that the loacation of the powder charge in the case in respect to flash from primer may create a variety of pressure dynamics in the more generous sized case of the 45LC. 45acp/45AR with most loads other than squibs maintain good relationship of primer flash and powder ignition. Powder choice may come into play if you are a reloader. Ter are "bulky" or more "fluffy" powders that create a safer loading process and in turn fill the case and lead to more uniform ignitions for larger cases as the LC. I am not savvy on bore and cylider dimensions, but can understand the complications. Too generous cylider and breach gap will destroy your velocity, accuracy and full potential of the round.
solomon grundy

Post by solomon grundy »

The 25-2's are notorious for having oversized throats, but the newer 45 ACP S&W revolvers, like the 625, are fine. I think that there are later 25-2's w/ standard throats as well.
feinwerk

.45 acp vs. .45 LC

Post by feinwerk »

It seems that the major source of variability is between pistols, not so much between cartridges.

Thanks very much for the information.