High Standard Support - for Hamden and Hartford pistols.

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

solomon grundy

High Standard Support - for Hamden and Hartford pistols.

Post by solomon grundy »

What is the state of parts and service support for the Hamden and Hartford High Standards?

I've been considering getting one, and am wondering if there are still parts to be found, and gunsmiths who can work on them.
rogersdan

Post by rogersdan »

Solomon,

I have a couple of the older High Standards. I've ordered spring kits from either Brownell's, Midway or Numrich - can't remember which but they had everything I've needed. There are aftermarket barrels available, and used barrels on gunbroker.com (and others). There is an active web site for High Standard collectors. Don't know about gunsmiths; but I think that there are enough High Standards in service so that gunsmithing shouldn't be too much of a problem.

DR
hill987

Post by hill987 »

high standard still in business in texas just google them
plinker

Post by plinker »

hill987 wrote:high standard still in business in texas just google them

Yeah, but the parts made in the Texas plant do not always function well in the older Hamdens and E. Hartford guns.

I recently had my Hamden worked on and I specifically told the gunsmith NOT to use any parts from the Texas HS manufacturing plant. I told him that if parts were needed I'd try to get them from another source that I trusted.
solomon grundy

Post by solomon grundy »

I've only heard negative things about HS is Texas, which is why I'm trying to confirm that there are other sources for parts and support.

Are there any gunsmiths that specialize in High Standards?

Does anyone else make parts for them?
plinker

Post by plinker »

Try talking to the local guys that shoot Bullseye. Most of them either own a HS or know a good gunsmith qualified to work on them. There are still quite a few gunsmiths who are familiar with and work on HS guns.
hill987

high standard

Post by hill987 »

I just talk to high standard and send a pistol in for some minor work spring kit and ejector > they said no problem you have it back in 72 hrs after they recieve with all new parts. This is high standard NOT Mitchell arms some people get them confused, This are the guys that worked in the hamden office for years so they should know the guns , parts and repairs with no problems
jak10x1

High Stansard

Post by jak10x1 »

Try Bob Shea in North Haven, CT 06473

John
plinker

Re: High Stansard

Post by plinker »

jak10x1 wrote:Try Bob Shea in North Haven, CT 06473

John
Heard good things about him - definately knows his stuff on High Standards.

hill987, nothing personal, but you are the first person I've heard of that hasn't had problems with the Texas High Standard company - and no, I know it's not Mitchell Arms.

If they have made improvements to their manufacturing plant, it would be welcome news to all the loyal High Standard owners, and I hope that you are correct in your assessment.
hill987

H S

Post by hill987 »

I am very pleased with them they called me last sat. to tell me that they recieved the gun and would have it back to me before weeks end, They also have all the old toolings from the new hamden plant and all parts are made to exact fit. Also the old frames that had problems with cracking, they have new frames for them now and are no longer a problem, with warrantys > Top rate service and support
jackh

Re: H S

Post by jackh »

hill987 wrote:I am very pleased with them they called me last sat. to tell me that they recieved the gun and would have it back to me before weeks end, They also have all the old toolings from the new hamden plant and all parts are made to exact fit. Also the old frames that had problems with cracking, they have new frames for them now and are no longer a problem, with warrantys > Top rate service and support

I disagree that Houston parts will fit older HS. A trigger bar I got from Houston had the sear notch cut wrong and could not be made to fit. A slide stop did not fit and could not be made to function. Don't get me started about their magazines or their finish. Although I have seen a 10X model Houston made up out of discovered Ct parts. It is not bad looking. I doubt the collector who owns it will ever shoot it.
hill987

HS

Post by hill987 »

as in most cases some can not be pleased, I seen it in all shooting sports the gun should have been send in. You can give someone a silver dollar and they would complain it's a fake! No matter what you do never good enough I see alot of that in bullseye. Some people have bad luck with their equipment, no matter what they do. I shot the sectional match two months ago, and somebody had an extractor break during the match. Being it was limited parking at the match, we had to double park to get in. The guy had the nerve, in the middle of the match, to ask me to go move my truck. It's not my problem his gun broke, or that they had improper parking areas. Then, when I did move my truck, he felt compelled to throw me the bird. Just typical. I will continue to use High Standard products indefinitely.

Re: HS

Post by Guest »

hill987 wrote:as in most cases some can not be pleased, I seen it in all shooting sports the gun should have been send in.
You make it sound as though jackh was making an unreasonable request. If I bought simple parts and couldn't use them I wouldn't be pleased either.

I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a simple part such as a trigger bar or a slide stop to fit, and you shouldn't have to send the gun in to get a simple part like that custom fitted. I just assembled an M1 Garand from a barreled receiver and a surplus parts kit. The parts were made by different manufacturers (Springfield, Winchester, and HRA) were of different ages and wear, and were probably randomly pulled from parts bins, but they all went together and functioned perfectly. You would think that a modern manufacturing facility could at least have the level of quality control and consistency that Springfield Armory, Winchester, and HRA exhibited 55-70 years ago.

I love my old slant-grip High Standards, but based on what I've heard I would be hesitant to buy a new one.
hill987

H S

Post by hill987 »

garands; you can get parts out of the trash and make them work same for the M14 or carbine But those was war machineslosefitand can shoot anything,This is about H S pistols they are diffrent in all ways timing fit and linking Same for 1911 some of there parts have to be fitted and sometimes all parts to make it right unless you don't care about how well it shoots then throw one together good luck with that
jackh

Post by jackh »

Funny you should mention trash. Thats where I have put those Houston HS parts. And some other parts and magazines. Give me original HS parts all the time. With 40 years original HS use and working on them, I would compare my own trigger work with the best. I am not in the business, so don't ask.
hill987

H S

Post by hill987 »

I see though the blog you like rugers real well, No doubt that's where you got your trigger experence They are the worst. I quit shooting them 20 years ago and would not take one if it was gave to me If you got more of the H S parts let me know I will take them. And i don't need trigger work I shot high standards
Tom Amlie

Post by Tom Amlie »

hill987 wrote:This is about H S pistols they are diffrent in all ways timing fit and linking
If these H S pistols are so different, why is it that I can replace a part with an NOS Connecticut part and it works fine, but new Texas parts don't? Why does a 50 year old factory magazine work perfectly, but a new one is trash?Are these guys in TX hand-forging each part with a bellows, forge, anvil, and files?

I appreciate that they may be making an honest effort to supply decent parts, and I know that in the internet age stories from one-time quality control problems live on forever (see Matchguns for example), but you're still the first person I've heard of who's happy with the TX High Standards.

As far as Garands are concerned, their deign and operation is at least as complex as a simple blow-back semiauto pistol, and the gas system requries much tighter tolerances. With 60,000 psi 6 inches from your face you better hope they're not "loose".
hill987

H S

Post by hill987 »

I just got back the high standard from texas last friday and everything looked great When and shot the pistol and was back in the x ring with two clicks left, shot great, tried three different target ammos and all cycled fine no problem So again the boys in texas did me right and the gun shoots as it should. I would send them any gun that may have problems with out question
jackh

Post by jackh »

hill987 wrote:I see though the blog you like rugers real well, No doubt that's where you got your trigger experence They are the worst. I quit shooting them 20 years ago and would not take one if it was gave to me If you got more of the H S parts let me know I will take them. And i don't need trigger work I shot high standards
Just to clarify. Yes, I do recommend to newish bullseye shooters the Ruger MkII (or III) over High Standard 106 or 107, IF they cannot find a good condition original HS and/or do not have the resources to do needed corrections from previous use or abuse. Not to mention the need for good original magazines. But given a good original HS with good original magazines and available resources to care for it, versus a good Ruger, the choice would be equal. The Ruger choice assumes obtaining a good trigger job which is readily available from several sources. I do not do trigger jobs on Rugers. I leave that to Roddy Toyota who does superb work. I do my own HS triggers based on those 40 years owning and caring for my original High Standards. I have to admit though, that my present bullseye gun choice to shoot is my Hammerli 208s or Bob Marvel Conversions. The Bob Marvel is slowly winning the race with the 208s.
hill987

Post by hill987 »

jackh wrote:
hill987 wrote:I see though the blog you like rugers real well, No doubt that's where you got your trigger experence They are the worst. I quit shooting them 20 years ago and would not take one if it was gave to me If you got more of the H S parts let me know I will take them. And i don't need trigger work I shot high standards
Just to clarify. Yes, I do recommend to newish bullseye shooters the Ruger MkII (or III) over High Standard 106 or 107, IF they cannot find a good condition original HS and/or do not have the resources to do needed corrections from previous use or abuse. Not to mention the need for good original magazines. But given a good original HS with good original magazines and available resources to care for it, versus a good Ruger, the choice would be equal. The Ruger choice assumes obtaining a good trigger job which is readily available from several sources. I do not do trigger jobs on Rugers. I leave that to Roddy Toyota who does superb work. I do my own HS triggers based on those 40 years owning and caring for my original High Standards. I have to admit though, that my present bullseye gun choice to shoot is my Hammerli 208s or Bob Marvel Conversions. The Bob Marvel is slowly winning the race with the 208s.