masks

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

jchristensen1

masks

Post by jchristensen1 »

Does anyone wear masks when they shoot indoors? If so, what kind is effective (there are so many different types...)

Our state championships are held at a range with TERRIBLE ventilation... definitely unsafe.
GOVTMODEL

Post by GOVTMODEL »

Go to an industrial safety supplier. You want the one that rated for asbestos; I think the color code is purple.
zoned

Re: masks

Post by zoned »

jchristensen1 wrote:... TERRIBLE ventilation... definitely unsafe.
You will need a NIOSH rated unit with canister filtration, the paper masks won't work.

http://tinyurl.com/yk2dfu2
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

You need at least a minimum NIOSH rate N95 mask a P95, R95 will work as well (they are just rated for oily mist too). the important thing is you need to be fit tested for them and need to be clean shaven in the seal area. You also need to know how to use them properly. Most good safety supply stores can instruct you and do the fit test. Reputable brands are Wilson, North or 3m. If you're willing to call Canada I can give you the number of our industrial hygienist who would be more than happy to provide you accurate information. PM me for more info.

PS Sent you a PM with the contact info.
Misny

Post by Misny »

I use the mask below. I haven't used it in a while. I get a lot of snide remarks and odd looks at the indoor range. To be effective, you can't take it off while changing targets, etc. The mask makes it hard to communicate. You can't volunteer to call the line. Unless you have high blood/ lead levels, I'm not sure that it is worthwhile to use.

We get a lot of lead exposure from our brass catchers. We also bring in lead dust into our homes from our shoes and clothing.

This mask is inexpensive, it is more compact than some and the filters are not as obtrusive. I use the disposable filters made for filtering lead. The company is first rate, also. Check it out here:http://masksnmore.stores.yahoo.net/3m60sehamare.html
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

Elemental lead really isn't the problem, the lead compounds in the primer that are vapourized is your biggest problem and is most likely to cause increased lead values in blood. Lead dust on your shoes has a very hard time entering your body if you perform at least minimal hygiene practices, like washing your hands.
Last edited by Richard H on Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bruce Martindale

Post by Bruce Martindale »

I started wearing the MSA Advantage 200LS with P100 cartridges this fall.

I really appreciate not tasting or breathing the dust and notice the difference in just a 30 shot league. I am one of the best shooters in the region with a 290 ish average and that sets a good example for others who may feel uncomfortable about it.

3 others in my club now wear it and they have seen (test results) reductions in blood lead in just a few weeks of use.

Yes it looks odd, but I really like it. Double cans dont work for rifle but is fine for pistol use.

If you smell or taste ANYTHING while shooting, you have exposure.

This whole set up sosts about $31; cheap enough.

best regards
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

The best bet is to still get a proper fit test done in a hood with Banana oil or saccharine . Saccharine is also use but makes sure they test your sensitivity to it first some people cant taste it.
GOVTMODEL

Post by GOVTMODEL »

Richard H wrote:The best bet is to still get a proper fit test done in a hood with Banana oil or saccharine . Saccharine is also use but makes sure they test your sensitivity to it first some people cant taste it.
Irritant Smoke is best; banana oil smells good and folks like it and don't reliably respond.

Irritant Smoke always gets the correct response if there is a leak:-)

Post by Guest »

There will be a discussion on this, however, the following 3M Disposable Respirators offer the same protection as the large and bulky canister units. Not saying don't use the bulky half mask units -- just saying that these high quality 3M disposables are exceedingly easy to use and offer the same protection: P100 and N100.

P100 is for particulates in an oil spray, designed for machine shops... but, we use much oil too. N100 is for ordinary particulate dust. Either one works, the N100 is slightly easier to breath in. You can talk totally normally and would think you could even call a line wearing one.

All I can say is that the outside turns completely silver after about a month of indoor league shooting. Inside is still pearly white. That range "taste and smell" is totally eliminated. Available at Grainger or most industrial supply stores. About $12 each. Call 3M (like I did) if you don't believe they offer the same protection as the half mask units!

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/e ... RXNR9HB8bl

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/e ... RXNR9HB8bl

Post by Guest »

Sorry, the N100 link is below (prior post were both the P100).

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/e ... 2297LTN6bl
Misny

Post by Misny »

I'm sure that the 3M masks work, but at $8.95 each, over time, they are more expensive than buying a half mask for $10.79 and the replacement filters for $5.95 per pair. The filters listed below aren't bulky like the canister type.

http://masksnmore.stores.yahoo.net/3m62hamareme.html

http://masksnmore.stores.yahoo.net/3m20pafip1.html
Dick

Post by Dick »

I shoot in a couple of Bullseye leagues and am usually in the range about 3 to 4 nights a week during the winter season. Two years ago my serum lead level was at 30.8 mcg/dl, about triple what's considered a safe maximum for an adult in the US. I started wearing a half-face 3M 6000 series respirator with P100 filters and got my lead down to 10.8 mcg/dl in about a year, with no other changes in my habits. I'm due for another physical shortly and expect that I'll be below the recommended upper limit of 10 mcg/dl. One guy on our team tested at 60+mcg/dl and was down in the lower 20s after a year.

The ventilation in most of the older ranges we shoot in is just terrible - about half of the guys I shoot with are now wearing respirators, and others are planning to start. It's nice to be able to go shooting without getting that funny taste in your throat, or black crud when you blow your nose, or letters from the DPH when the doctor reports your elevated lead, as required by law. Around here, respirators are becoming almost as common as eye and ear protection.