slow fire

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

jchristensen1

slow fire

Post by jchristensen1 »

Dilemma-

I've been shooting for a year. I quickly excelled at timed and rapid fire (95 avg) but my slow fire scores were in the low 80's.

I recently bought a Pardini (I was using a 6-7/8" Ruger Mark III) to try and help my Slow Fire scores.

Nothing changed in SF, but my TF and RF scores are now solidly in the 97-99 range.

Today I tried to shoot SF like I was shooting TF, and got a 91 and a 92, finishing with a 572.

Should I just keep doing this, or is there something I need to take away from my learning and apply to normal SF technique?

Thanks for your help!
melchloboo

Post by melchloboo »

Learn to replicate your timed/rapid fire trigger technique in slow fire....although you can still put the gun down between shots eventually.

What you are going through is very common, it happens to many shooters. Its a phase you're going through, if you're persistent you'll come out a better shooter on the other side.

The problem is that you are not subconsciously pulling the trigger in slow fire like you are in timed/rapid...because in timed/rapid your conscious mind doesn't have time to screw up what your subconscious does very well.

Something that might help is to load a dummy second round during slow fire.

You just need to believe in yourself on the long line...you have a great trigger pull, so just DO it, sh*t or bust as Jimmy Page used to say of his guitar solos.

That said, some guys get good results doing 2 or 3 shots at a time on the long line...but I think if you just learn to bring that trigger technique you'll get better results because you'll have better sight pictures.
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

I agree. Further I believe that the number one problem in slow fire is holding the gun up too long. Ever slow fire shot should replicate your first shot in timed and rapid fire, You should have the shot off in between 3 and 8 seconds after leveling the gun. Chances are good that you are holding the gun up too long in slow fire before taking the shot and that is causing you to be wobbling outside of your best hold at the time the shot goes off. If your pressure on the trigger has not caused the gun to go off in the first eight seconds you should put the gun down and try again. The hardest thing to learn how to do is to put the gun down without taking the shot. Isabel
Rover

Post by Rover »

This is why the International style shooters love air pistol so much. This is what it's all about.

Get yourself one and you can practice endlessly at home.
jchristensen1

Post by jchristensen1 »

Thanks for all the good advice. Lots to think (or not think) about.

Post by Guest »

Quite a few of my fellow shooters take sub-six aim and fire five shots rather quickly (holding their position). Don't know if it's good or bad, but it seems to work for them.
2650 Plus

Post Subject

Post by 2650 Plus »

For those of you that remember T.D. Smith, the world record holder in Int centerfire, He usually fired his slow fire in the American 2700 two or three shots at a time. If it worked for T.D. it may also work for you so have at it. Good Shooting Bill Horton
not Bob

Post by not Bob »

Shot my best slow fire round 5 shoots at a time. (not saying that was the correct way of doing it) If I shoot a good or bad shot (in a 5 shot string)I dont know it. That way it doesnt effect my emotions. By the way that was the day I learned what a free pistol was,which lead to air pistol. Had no Idea international shooting exsisted until someone said " Anyone who can slowfire a 198 needs to shoot free pistol" I went home and looked up free pistol ,told my wife I was going to spend almost $2,000 on a gun and almost stopped shooting bullseye.
Freepistol

Post by Freepistol »

not Bob wrote:Shot my best slow fire round 5 shoots at a time. (not saying that was the correct way of doing it) If I shoot a good or bad shot (in a 5 shot string)I dont know it. That way it doesnt effect my emotions. By the way that was the day I learned what a free pistol was,which lead to air pistol. Had no Idea international shooting exsisted until someone said " Anyone who can slowfire a 198 needs to shoot free pistol" I went home and looked up free pistol ,told my wife I was going to spend almost $2,000 on a gun and almost stopped shooting bullseye.
Good going, not Bob!
Before you spend the dough on the free pistol, there is bad news. You can't shoot five shots without putting the gun down. Image
jackh

Post by jackh »

Were/are you scoping between the single SF shots? Don't.
jchristensen1

Post by jchristensen1 »

jackh wrote:Were/are you scoping between the single SF shots? Don't.
I was scoping the first shot to make sure my sights were okay and then would put the cover on.

Still sticking with the 5-shot for now. Had a 566 in competition last night and it felt very good. Still lots of room to improve, and I hope to take my lessons from the 5-shot over the summer and apply them to shooting one at a time.
jackh

Post by jackh »

jchristensen1 wrote:
jackh wrote:Were/are you scoping between the single SF shots? Don't.
I was scoping the first shot to make sure my sights were okay and then would put the cover on.

Still sticking with the 5-shot for now. Had a 566 in competition last night and it felt very good. Still lots of room to improve, and I hope to take my lessons from the 5-shot over the summer and apply them to shooting one at a time.
Try to discover basic things about your trigger control as you do this.