Different Bullseye Guns - Training and Practice

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

jackh

Post by jackh »

We have wad guns, hardball guns, 22 guns, and even DR guns. Some use even more. How do you combine practices with them?
Shoot some of each on a given practice day?
Shoot one only on a given practice day?
Somewhere in between?
Explain your reasoning.
Jack H
JamesH

Post by JamesH »

Tricky.

I try to do a solid session on one pistol/event, and just a few shots with my other pistols at the end just as a reminder.

Trying to shoot Centrefire (revolver), Standard, Rapid and Service with limited energy is hard.

Shooting one discipline only gets stale fast too.

So, in summary, I don't have an answer :)

Re: Different Bullseye Guns - Training and Practice

Post by Guest »

jackh wrote:We have wad guns, hardball guns, 22 guns, and even DR guns. Some use even more. How do you combine practices with them?
Shoot some of each on a given practice day?
Shoot one only on a given practice day?
Somewhere in between?
Explain your reasoning.
Jack H
How about a NMC twice each week with each gun?

I read that somewhere.

Jim
ciscovt

Post by ciscovt »

Starting last Fall after the out doors season ended, I started shooting my Marvel .22 with the dot sight and then either my Ball gun or S&W 14 during training or practice sessions. I shoot wadgun ammunition in the ball gun for training and practice. I dry fire my wad gun most nights, with a lead filled magazine inserted for conditioning. I have seen my iron sight groups tighten up as a result. When we can get back outdoors in the Spring, I'll alternate between the wad gun and ball gun every other session.

ciscovt
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

I really think how you train and what guns you use should depend on your goals and wherre you are as a shooter. It can also depend on the guns you are using and their similarities and differences. You should be focusing your training on where you have the most to gain and where you are the weakest. The first skill to degrade if it is not practiced in generally .45 rapid fire for most people. If your rapid fire scores are not up in the 90s you should be focusing your efforts on one two and three shot drills in rapid fire to learn how to pull the trigger smoothly and quickly and get back on the target after the recoil. I have done lots of dry fire with my 45 to learn how to get the first shot off at the visual cue of the target turning rather than trying to time it and occasionally having an early shot. If your slow fire scores are not up into the mid 90s with all your guns you should be working on that too. I admit to not shooting my leg gun much at all. I train with iron sights all the time at hoime with my air pistol and that seems to be pushing my scores up with my leg gun.
hill987

training

Post by hill987 »

if match shooting the match is won at the long line and lost at the short line. I shoot alot at the short line trying to keep my scores above 96, It takes a lot of practice to keep the scores up, But easy in practice I have shot a lot of 99's and 100's,.. But in a match things change I catch myself trying to hard and getting some bad shots "go figure" during the spring and summer I shoot NMC course twice a week with 22 and 45wc