NRA Sectionals

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

Orion

NRA Sectionals

Post by Orion »

Does anyone have any detailed info on the NRA Sectionals coming up? I cannot find anything on their site. Thanks.
Freepistol

Post by Freepistol »

Orion

Post by Orion »

Yea, already hit that site. I want to attend this, being my first match. Hence never attending a Sectional match, Id like to go over the ruling and so forth. Anything else? Thanks!
Dogchaser

Post by Dogchaser »

http://www.nrahq.org/compete/targetsbooks.asp

Here is a link to a page with the PDF file for the rule books.
GOVTMODEL

Post by GOVTMODEL »

Orion wrote:Yea, already hit that site. I want to attend this, being my first match. Hence never attending a Sectional match, Id like to go over the ruling and so forth. Anything else? Thanks!
It's an NRA 900 in .22, only difference is the Gallery Course is fired last instead of second.
Chris

Post by Chris »

Unless I am missing something I do not see where the rules say the Gallery Course needs to be fired last. In the sectional I have been shooting in for almost 20 years the Gallery course follows the 20 shots of slow fire.

It does not make sense to me for one match per year the order would be changed.
Orion

Post by Orion »

Well, Im unclassified, so Ill be competing in the Master catagory.

Does anyone find this a bit unfair, considering I have a chance to gain master classification w/ a 22 at 50 ft rather than competing in a regular sanctioned match w/ a 45 at 25 and 50 yards?

Question is rather I can shoot and hold a master. Probably not. I have shot in that range, like anyone else, but it strikes me odd that shooters can get classified in a sectional match..

I try not to have preconceived notions about howll Ill rank before a match, but Id also wouldnt like to shoot and be classified in the master, when I should be in sharpshooter range. Or am I going about this all wrong?

Any input?
GOVTMODEL

Post by GOVTMODEL »

Orion wrote:Well, Im unclassified, so Ill be competing in the Master catagory.

Does anyone find this a bit unfair, considering I have a chance to gain master classification w/ a 22 at 50 ft rather than competing in a regular sanctioned match w/ a 45 at 25 and 50 yards?

Question is rather I can shoot and hold a master. Probably not. I have shot in that range, like anyone else, but it strikes me odd that shooters can get classified in a sectional match..

I try not to have preconceived notions about howll Ill rank before a match, but Id also wouldnt like to shoot and be classified in the master, when I should be in sharpshooter range. Or am I going about this all wrong?

Any input?
After you fire one complete match, fill in your Temporary Score Book and you won't have to shoot in the Master class again. After 360 record shots are turned in to NRA you'll receive a Classification Card that will be be valid as long as (a) you shoot at least one match every three years (I think it's three) or (b) you move up.
Ed Hall

Post by Ed Hall »

For Chris:

(Note - this is a reprint of a message sent to the BE-List)

Since this event is the National Indoor Match for Conventional Pistol, the NRA itself provides the Program template for each (and all) venues. The venues are then to only add in their particular local information. They should not alter the program as provided. Just to note, the program requires turning targets, states the distance to be 50 feet and that the targets to use are B2 and B3.

That Official Program, provided by the NRA also states as follows:

"MATCH SCHEDULE:

Match #1 - 20 shots slow fire, 2 strings of 10 rounds, 10 minutes per string

Match #2 - 20 shots timed fire, 4 strings of 5 rounds, 20 seconds per 5 shot string

Match #3 - 20 shots rapid fire, 4 strings of 5 rounds, 10 seconds per 5 shot string

Match #4 - 30 shots, 10 rounds slow fire, 10 rounds timed fire, 10 rounds rapid fire - Gallery Course

Match #5 - 90 shot aggregate

Match #6 - Team Match - NRA Gallery Course - All members of team must fire - This is a paper match
"

**Note the error in the Team Match wording - more to follow**

Would you think it was within the spirit of the rules, to have half your shooters fire it based on the above schedule, half your shooters fire it the other way and then combine the two groups for awards. Some shooters find it difficult to change from firing Rapid Fire to firing Slow Fire when they begin the Gallery course. Do the others have an unfair advantage? I suppose, if we follow the logic provided, we really don't need to fire the Gallery course as Slow, Timed, Rapid. The stages aren't even actually numbered.

If the NRA provides a program with a "Match Schedule" of numbered matches, should they have to tell us to do them in that order? I consider that numbering the matches from 1 through 4 means that they should be fired as 1, 2, 3, 4. But, I consider things in a logical manner. Also, does doing something in a particular way for a long period of time make it correct or merely the local fashion?

When I provide a numbered list of steps through a procedure, I don't preface that list with a statement to follow the steps in order. I expect the reader to know that. Perhaps I expect too much...

I am disappointed that Tom Hughes did not address this the last time it came up and he was asked for clarification, but maybe that request was unseen.

I suppose the question is this: Is it OK for "some clubs" to "bend" the program, or should all competitors for the National Indoor Championship - Conventional Pistol, follow the same format? Personally, I believe the same format is necessary and further feel, that is why the NRA supplies the Program template themselves for this match.

**The way the Team Match is described is a contradiction,"All members of team must fire - This is a paper match." This definitely can lead to ambiguity, but I don't feel that the numbering of the matches leaves them open to interpretation. And, as for "doing it that way for years," that doesn't make it right. However, I have seen in at least one other Sectional Program (for a different discipline) provided by NRA, the following statement:

"Unauthorized deviations to the program or NRA Rules may result in disqualification."

That statement is not in the Conventional Pistol program. Perhaps that allows us to deviate as we like, or, perhaps they didn't think it necessary.

All views expressed by myself are my own "Not So Humble Opinions" and do not reflect the views of others.

Sorry, I'm getting carried away. (I know, you guys think I should be...)

Pile it on - I have high shoulders...

================

For Orion:

As mentioned, you can use a temporary classification for this match, based on any scores you have already fired in competition. Simply acquire a Temporary book. If you happen to have a classification from another discipline that would be used and would override the temporary book. See rules 19.6 and 19.7 for more clarification.

Also, remember that this will not be a permanent classification based on only 90 (or 120 with Team) shots. As also mentioned previously, you need 360 shots for the permanent classification from NRA.

If interested, a very detailed match program is currently still available for the Sectional fired at Troy Pistol League in New York. You can view that program at:

NRA Open Indoor Championships Conventional Pistol

Take Care,
Ed Hall
Air Force Shooting Homepage
Bullseye (and International) Competition Things

Post by Guest »

Chris

Post by Chris »

Thanks Ed. I do agree with your read of the rules in thinking the NRA was putting them in an order to be shot. I suppose the numbering could also be seen as not a sequance but just a way to bullet the matches that need to be shot. Then many match directors seem to have run the match in the order making more sense to match other sequances of conventional matches. I am just guesing here since this was done way before I started shooting.

It would have been nice to have the NRA comment on the rules.