Buckmark Questions...

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

stlshooter

Buckmark Questions...

Post by stlshooter »

I'm shooting a 7.25 inch Browning Buckmark for pistol comps in my area but I was recently told that the barrel is too long for NRA Bull'seye. I believe that the rule is a 10'' barrel with 10'' sight radius is max. Is he correct or is he just confusing USAS rules with NRA rules?

Thanks,
HB

Post by Guest »

Here's a link to the rulebooks:

http://www.nrahq.org/compete/

Yes, 10" maximum barrel length. There is a requirement of how far apart the iron sights are allowed. Do your due diligence. If your gun passes the rules from your determination then take the rulebook with you and have that person tell you specifically what he/she is referring to.
stlshooter

Post by stlshooter »

My understanding is that there is a10'' barrel limit and a 10'' sight radius limit. My barrel is ok. My sights measure less than 10'' from the back of the rear sight to the back of the front sight. This seems legal to me but im not so sure. I could just slap on a dot i suppose.

"3.4 .22 Caliber Pistol or Revolver - Any pistol or revolver using a .22 caliber rimfire, cartridge having an over-all length of not more than 1.1 inches and with lead or alloy bullet not greater than .23 inches in diameter and weighing not more than 40 grains; barrel length, including cylinder, not more than 10 inches; sights may be adjustable but not over ten inches apart measured from the apex of the rear sight to the apex of the front sight. Trigger pull not less than 2 pounds. All standard safety features of the gun must operate properly. Any sights, including telescopic, are permitted with the exception of those sights which project an image on the target. Any sighting device programmed to activate the firing mechanism is prohibited."

The appex is the wrong term i would suspect.

HB
Philadelphia

Post by Philadelphia »

stlshooter wrote:The appex is the wrong term i would suspect.

HB
I seized on the same -- I guess great minds work alike. ;)

After thinking about it for a minute, it actually makes sense. The apex of the front sight would be exactly what you use to aim and align with the top of the rear sight. If the front sight ramps down slightly forward of its apex longer than the limit, who cares -- whatever is forward of the apex is blocked by the apex and you can't see it anyway.
stlshooter

Post by stlshooter »

That's what I was thinking as well. Under our assumption, my pistol would be legal by about 1/5 an inch.

HB