Looking to add a new .22

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

Tom Bowen

Looking to add a new .22

Post by Tom Bowen »

Not that I need a new pistol........but with that said.

I currenly have a Hammerlli 208s, that I love and I also have a stock Ruger Mark III Target, the one with the 5 1/2" bull barrell.

What I'm looking for is something more than the ruger and less than the 208s.

This is what I'm thinking of: a Clark Custom, ond of the Volquarten models or a S&W Model 41.

Any thoughts or feed back on these would be appreciated.

Thanks, Tom
bebloomster

Post by bebloomster »

The 41 is generally very well regarded in it's price range. Really hard to go wrong there.
tenex

Post by tenex »

Here you go:
track down a Hamden High Standard trophy with a 7" fluted barrel and get a Nill, Rink, or Morini grip and shoot it with the original iron sights.

My dad had a High Standard with the long fluted barrel and it was way cool.

Steve.
clark2245

Re: Looking to add a new .22

Post by clark2245 »

Why not a Marvel Conversion? If you have a 1911 for bullseye you can just replace the 45 upper with the Marvel and have a highly accurate 22 that uses the same grip and trigger for the CF and 45 aggregates. After you have done it a few times it takes under a minute to swap them (a full length guide rod is recommended) and there is no transition after the 22 aggregate to a different grip and heavier trigger for the other 2/3 of the match. A dedicated frame is also an option.

I have a 208s and used it for several years but over the last 4-5 years have been using a Marvel because I just shoot a little better with it.

Clark
oldcaster

Post by oldcaster »

I like the Marvel also but basically, there are guns with the mag in the front and mags in the back. Grips are slanted or not slanted. They are weighted heavier in front or heavier in the back. I never worry too much how good a gun shoots but how good I can shoot it because they all shoot well enough for matches. Some only shoot well with premium ammo but again that is only important at the long line. Try before you buy if at all possible.
hill987

Post by hill987 »

The high standard trophy with 5.5 bull barrel would be my pick. I have three H S and love them all. They have the same grip angle as the 1911 and feel close to the same which is a plus. They have the best mechanics of all them out there. These are the old style not the new texas ones good luck in your pick.
5-Ring

Post by 5-Ring »

I agree. The High Standard Victor is excellent. I shot some of my best scores with it. The S&W 41 is a fine pistol, too, but I like the Victor better and I could shoot it better.