range rules

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

harvester

range rules

Post by harvester »

Does anyone have anything on range rules?? Also looking for range courtesy rules. We are in process of updating ours and looking for some new thoughts.

Thanks,
JamesH

Post by JamesH »

Just updating ours to this:
  • Firearms must point in a safe direction at all times ie towards the backstop or at the ground at least 45deg in front of the firing point

One person must be nominated as a range officer for shooting to be allowed.

Eye and hearing protection must be used. Open shoes and open necked shirts are not allowed.

Firearms may only be uncased on the firing point or in the safe area

Ammunition is not permitted in the safe areas

Firearms and ammunition may not be uncased or handled until ‘preparation time’ has been called by the range officer.

Firearms (including magazines) may not be loaded until ‘load’ has been called by the range officer.

The range officer must check the range is clear before calling 'load'

All shooting must be at standard targets in the target holders, all bullets must enter the backstop

No-one may go forward of the firing point until all firearms have been checked clear and guns clear’ has been called by the range officer.

Firing points may not be occupied, and firearms and ammunition may not be handled when anyone is forward of the firing point.

All firearms to be checked clear by the range officer and cased before being removed from the firing point

All malfunctions are to be cleared at the end of the detail under supervision of the range officer
Last one needs a bit more work, but we're bothered by people ramming rods onto live rounds surrounded by other shooters.
Anything other than a simple malfunction needs to be dealt with on a cleared range under supervision, or by a gunsmith.

And specifically to meet our Police approval:
  • Lead projectiles only may be used. Jacketed projectiles are not permitted.

Only pistols and pistol calibre rifles may be used.

Maximum muzzle velocity for pistols is 1100FPS. Maximum muzzle velocity for rifles is 1400FPS. Magnum loads may not be used
Philadelphia

Post by Philadelphia »

James gave some good ideas.

If you want to go whole hog, the NRA will help you.

http://www.nrahq.org/shootingrange/

You can join for very low bucks (I think it's 25 bucks these days), take the range safety officer course, and ask for help figuring out a lot of those "little things" that sometimes one doesn't think of to set up a proper range program.

For range courtesy, here are my rules:

1. Don't be a Bubba or a "That Guy."

2. Rule One will cover 99% of any problems.

;)
hill987

Post by hill987 »

For the most part the clubs that I have shot at all the rules are in place and are abided by. I think they all conform to the NRA regs. The program seems to work well. I have more concern with shooter etiquette than I do anything. The 'anal' point counter that no matter what wants to disregard once the target is scored, they want to challenge it, which is supposed to be done by the range officer after you pay your $2.00 for the challenge. You know if you lose a point on one target but gain a point on another target, it all equals out. One point is not going to make or break the match. Nothing bothers me more than point counters, penny pinchers or whatever you want to call them. I thought that was only in the trap shooters club, I guess it carries over to the bullseye shooters clubs too. I'm sure that everybody has misscored a target at one time or another. but, you know, you'll make it up at the next match. So, get over yourself and get over the target, and let's move on. I still believe that this is supposed to be a fun sport and a challenge to yourself. Trust me I know challenges I shoot bullseye with no trigger finger. I have to use my middle finger for the trigger finger. Try shooting your 45 like that in a few matches and you'll gain respect for the 45.
JamesH

Post by JamesH »

I've noticed in a few clubs that as soon as people start to be a little slack with a few rules then it all goes to pieces.
You need to keep on top of the rules all of the time.