CCI Green Tag Rimfire compared to CCI SV Rimfire

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

Mass Shooter

CCI Green Tag Rimfire compared to CCI SV Rimfire

Post by Mass Shooter »

I've been experimenting using CCI Green Tag SV rimfire ammo alongside with CCI SV rimfire and honestly see no performance gain.

Anyone shooting with CCI Green Tag SV rimfire ammo as opposed to the CCI SV? ... If so, do you find it any better to give an edge during match competition?

My experiences have been they each perform exactly the same with the Green Tag only difference is significantly more expensive! ... And only found packaged in the 100 count plastic trays.

Regards,

M.S.
Rover

Post by Rover »

I was told, but cannot verify, that the Green Tag is selected lots of CCI SV.

In my testing a while back GT didn't show me much, but I currently use boxed CCI SV in my Bullseye gun.
little_doodie

Post by little_doodie »

Well it depends on the distance.
At 50' to 75' I would say very little difference.
At 50 yards it may make a difference.
all my ammo testing is done at 50 yards and it must also function flawlessly in my gun.
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

The only difference I have seen between CCI SV and CCI Green tag is that occasionally I get a round of CCI SV that goes "click" rather than "bang" but if I hit it again with the firing pin it will fire. I admit to only shooting three or four hundred rounds of CCI Green Tag but they all went "bang" If I was unfortunate enough to get two rounds of CCI SV going "click" during the timed fire or rapid fire portion of a big match, I would be angry that I had not spent the extra bucks to use CCI Green tag which is considerably cheaper than Lapua, Pistol King which my gun also likes. Isabel
Mass Shooter

Post by Mass Shooter »

I agree with Isabel1130 on spending a little extra for a small piece of mind.

The CCI SV have been performing wonderful and I've actually hit my best top scores however, I have found a few severly bent rounds inside the paper box packaging that the lead bullet was at about a 30 degree angle at the brass end and couldn't remove it from the plastic retainer.

My shooting is at 50' indoor for National Match Course competition so for the league matches I step it up a notch and go with the Green Tag.

I have yet find one from either type to not go bang so I'm pleased with both offerings from CCI

I like them both, but mostly practice with the CCI SV

M.S.
little_doodie

Post by little_doodie »

I have to agree too.
Piece of mind is definately worth it....
I worry more about my functionality than accuracy at an indoor match.
if it isn't better than 99.5% reliable I don't shoot it.
I think your game plan for matches and practice is fine considering the accuracy difference is not and issue.
In training if you get a dud it doesn't really matter other than it ruins that stage of fire. It's also good training to have to deal with issues.
Unfortunately they happen and you need to deal with it in training the same as a match...
1911nut

Post by 1911nut »

I would test the Green Tag vs the CCI SV at 50 yards to see if there was an advantage in spending the extra $$.

I've shot over 10,000 rounds of CCI SV in two Marvels and a 41 and have never had a failure. Some of the higher cost target brands from Eley, SK and Wolf shoot slightly tighter groups but I keep coming back to CCI SV due to the reliability, accuracy, clean burning and price.
Rover

Post by Rover »

IS there a difference except its PURPORTED reliability? No one addressed THAT.

I have had misfires with ALL brands of .22s, including the really spendy ones. There were also lot to lot variations in reliablility.

Test lots for yourself. It's the only way to know.
hill987

CCI sv

Post by hill987 »

I have tried the CCI sv and didn't like the preformance. Groups larger than a nickle @ 50' and had misfires I use federal, Aguila, and military winchester white box and all will group smaller than a dime 10 shot groups @ 50' just one ragged hole. I think more about the gun than the ammo with misfires because I can reload the bad round and will fire. Could be the firing pin is rounding or spring issue, not ammo. The aguila ammo is cheap and my gun loves it "go figure"
Bob-Riegl

Post by Bob-Riegl »

The only differences between Second Lieutenants is date of rank. As far as the major difference between CCI SV and Green Tag is the money you pay IMHO. According to rumor they supposedly separate the Green Tag by comparing the rim thicknesses. If you want to save yourself the difference in cash, then get a rim gauge. I guarantee you that will wear thin after a couple of hundred rounds. I have found CCI SV the most reliable & unfailing ammo I have used and quite frankly my experiences with Green Tag has been very minor, but with negative comments and feelings. They are, quite contrary to the above, producing more alibis per box then Remington "Target Ammo." It's not worth the difference you pay for the Green Tag and SV IMHO. Though not a part of this thread I do use either RWS Target Rifle or SK Jagd Green dot for Free Pistol solely. And never use CCI SV as it won't chamber in either the TOZ or Hammerli, the rims are too thick. "Doc"
jackh

Post by jackh »

Never just assume a 22 ammo will be better in your gun by price of the ammo. I was amazed how poorly Green Tag alone grouped at 50 yards compared to Eley, Aguila, Wolf, and a few other SV ammo. Green tag was in the 4" group size. Eley was like 1" and all the others were 1.5" or better. I did not have regular CCI SV that day. Wish now that I had. This was from an Advantage Arms long barrel conversion. Not Bob Marvel conversion. I will Ransom Rest the 3 Bob Marvel barrels later.