New and want to go distinguished

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

New and want to go distinguished

Post by Guest »

I am new to the sport of bullseye (i am a Highpower shooter). And would appriciate any and all advice. I am also a junior, so i cant really buy anything...
The pistols that i have available are a ruger 22/45 Target, and a Dan Wesson 1911.
Would someone also explain the distinguished revolver program to me?
my goal is to go 4 times distinguished.
Matt
Misny

Post by Misny »

The NRA explains it pretty well on their website. Check it out here: http://www.nrahq.org/compete/dept-pistol.asp
Ed Hall

Post by Ed Hall »

As to Rifle, Pistol and International Distinguished, you should look over this CMP page:

Competitions

Look specifically at:

CMP Competition Rules (13th Edition)

In Distinguished Company

U.S. Distinguished International Shooter Badge History

A Short History of the Distinguished Shooter Program

Next, I would suggest concentrating on one gun at a time. Since you are already shooting rifle, I would finish Distinguished there before moving to pistol. International will be the big challenge. You will need to dedicate yourself fully to a discipline that can take you to a World Class event, in which you will have to do very well. The requirements are outlined in the CMP Rules file listed above.

If you have some more specific questions, let us know.

Take Care,
Ed Hall
Air Force Shooting Homepage
Bullseye (and International) Competition Things
2650 Plus

Shooting for Distinguished

Post by 2650 Plus »

Ed is right on. But first you should work up to at least master class with whatever firearm you pick for your fitst badge, Train with it and enter every match you can. The match experence is one esential element of your quest. Another is an intellegent training program. Try to identify the elements that produce your best shots and strive to repeat the sequence over and over in both practice and match competition. Pick the brain of top shooters, especially those that out shoot you. Most of all ,never give up. good luck and good shooting. Bill Horton
WesternGrizzly

Post by WesternGrizzly »

well I have ten more points to go for rifle. And there really arnt many pistol matches where i live.
But the sights are moving all over the place!!
matt
Ed Hall

Post by Ed Hall »

As in offhand rifle, there is some movement with a handgun. You will have to accept that and work within your "area" of aim, instead of a "point" of aim. The best shot will occur when you can get your conscious impulse to hank when they look good, controlled into a conscious effort to simply operate the trigger with a continuous smooth action, while holding the sights aligned and letting them hover over your area of aim.

Good luck with your quest.

Take Care,
Ed Hall
Air Force Shooting Homepage
Bullseye (and International) Competition Things
2650 Plus

Post Subject

Post by 2650 Plus »

Sorry, I forgot the most helpful tip. That tip is DRY FIRE. Dry Fire and then Dry fire some more. The recoil of live fire hides many small erors that become apparant while dry firing and as your muscles become used to holding in your natural point of aim area the movement Ed Hall mentioned will decrease to a rasonable level of stillness, Good Shooting Bill Horton
oldcaster

distinguished pistol

Post by oldcaster »

Get some books from people that know what they are talking about. In other words someone who has done it already. You can look at John Dreyers web site and learn a lot for free. He was a good shooter and decided to become very good and improved his scores dramatically in a very short time. He found out what the proper way to train was and did it all the time. In other words he was disciplined, and bullseye shooting is called a discipline for a reason. When you shoot distinguished matches you have to shoot hardball in a .45 or a 9mm. You need to get a chance to shoot both of these different guns to see which one you do better with. They fit different in your hand, kick differently, and have completely different trigger feels. They both are very competitive and most wouldn't change their mind about which they prefer. Get ready to pay a fair amount for a good gun the first time and it will last you until long after you become distinguished.
oldcaster

Distinguished Revolver

Post by oldcaster »

I didn't see earlier on your post that it was distinguished revolver that you were interested in. This requires you to shoot a .38 special with I think a restriction on barrel length to 6 inches. I don't remember if it can be shorter but it can't be longer. The ammo has to be 158 grain round or semi wadcutter. The rule was that it was necessary to shoot factory rounds but that was waived some places this year because factory wasn't available. I know that a lot of people use NSK. The gun usually is a Smith 14 and secondly a 19. It is hard to get guns to shoot the 158's well and that is why the scores are lower than in the Harry Reeves match which allows hollow base wadcutters and longer barrels. Older 14's like the 14-2 are normally thought of as being more accurate but I would imagine it is individual gun specific. S&W has a new 14 out last year that might be good. Maybe someone else has experience with them. Several gunsmiths around feel they can get 3 inches at 50 yards with modifications and my experience is that 3 inches would be excellent. It is necessary to practice timed and rapid fire a lot because it is necessary to cock and shoot with one hand and 10 seconds in rapid fire goes by in a hurry. Dry fire every day and work on or have a smith work on the action so it is easier to cock. Also the new guns don't come with a target hammer (wider) or trigger unless they decided to this year but I would assume that an older one will fit in the newer gun and for me, at least, it is absolutely necessary. Also the gun must function double action even if you won't fire it that way. Only a 30 shot match so no mistakes. You have to be like a machine.
WesternGrizzly

Post by WesternGrizzly »

OK thanks guys. I think the last time when i practiced at the range i shot like a 90 in the rapid. i wasnt really paying attention to score. mainly groups. Thanks again for helping out the new guy
matt
Misny

Post by Misny »

If you can average 90% with the revolver, you can get distinguished. No need to wait until you get that master classification card. Good luck and good shooting.

Post by Guest »

The most recent rule changes for Conventional Pistol have just been posted on the NRA site. Two changes are for Distinguished Revolver.

3.1.4 (c) Ammunition - Any safe .38 caliber ammunition using the 158 grain round nose or semi-wadcutter bullet only.

The old rule required required new, factory manufactured ammunition or commercially re-manufactured ammunition. Now reloads are allowed.

Another change is that "Exposed holes that have been drilled and tapped for mounting of a scope are not considered to be an external modification."

Best Regards,
Slo cat