which do you prefer??

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

rb02wrx

which do you prefer??

Post by rb02wrx »

I'm in the process of building a bulls eye 45. Caspian stainless frame Caspian stainless slide and Kart precision ramped barrel. (the major pieces) My question is which sight mount do you prefer. Rail or frame? I have had allot of people tell me that the majority of high end bulls eye shooters use the rail mount. I have shot both and I really cant decide. I have been told that any discrepancy in rail to frame tolerances would lead to in-accuracy in a rail mount. Why would higher ranked shooters even take that little chance? Any suggestions would be appreciated or comments. Thanks ahead of time!!!
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

Some considerations. Either will work and work well but there are trade offs. A frame mount allows the gun to function more as it was designed to as it adds no weight to the slide slowing its movement. This means that the gun, in general, if everything else is done right will be less ammo sensitive and you will generally have less of a problem with alabis espeically if you want to use a very light load for sustained fire. On the other hand it is harder to remove a frame mount to clean the gun and if you do remove it you will have to re zero the gun everytime you take it off. The slide mount will hold the zero BUT if you are using light loads you will be able to feel the side go back and forth and a lighter than normal load will often stove pipe. Some people don't like to look at the dot coming straight back at them as they shoot. Your strengths and weaknesses as a shooter will decide which is right for you. By the way, a rail down the length of the gun adds a LOT of extra weight. If you put an ultradot on top of that you may have made the gun almost a pound heavier. Some people really like this, others do not. Isabel
CR10XGuest

Post by CR10XGuest »

I know of no one that removes a frame mount to clean the gun so that should be a non issue.

The Springfield Comp scope mount (unfortunately no longer in production) is even lower than most rib mounts since it has self contained rings.

I have seen no evidence of loss of accuracy with a frame mount and I know of one that has won a .45 match with thousands of rounds through the gun.

However rib mounts are much easier to find and install, usually just a direct screw in replacement for older bomar rib guns.

Most wadguns do not use stainless on stainless (checking with your gunsmith to see what he like first is usually a good idea), but have see a couple of wad guns that were and they seem to shoot ok.

As was said above, try out each and see what you like.

Cecil
oldcaster

Post by oldcaster »

I have heard that stainless on stainless can experience galling if the frame is tight to the slide. The people claiming this were knowledgeable and I would trust them because they build a lot of wad guns and should know. A slide mount is much cheaper and easier to install on a gun but a frame mount can use much lighter loads. If one is typically more accurate than the other it is not enough to matter. I installed one Les Baer slide mount on a Colt and I'm not doing it again because of the difficulty(took many hours). Pick your smith for this carefully. I shoot a frame mount and like it but many of my friends shoot slide mounts and also like them. Your choice and I think you will be happy either way.