bullseye competition question

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

plinker

bullseye competition question

Post by plinker »

I used to shoot this back when it was called NRA Conventional and my memory must be fading. . .

Anyway, my question is: how much time does the tournament range officer allow for prep time for each stage (reloading magazines, etc.)?

I'm helping a women's group get used to competitive shooting and I'm trying to keep the range running similar to the way it would run during a real match. Eventually, I hope some of these women will start shooting in Bullseye matches and I want them to be familiar with the procedures.

We've been shooting the National Match Course with rimfire pistols so far, and plan to expand that into some 900 matches soon. Any help would be appreciated!
Ed Hall

Post by Ed Hall »

I apologize if I haven't read your question properly, but there is only one prep time per gun in Conventional Pistol, whether that be a 300, 600 or 900 point match. That preparation period is three minutes in length and precedes the first Slow Fire string.

As to loading magazines, there is no rule in Conventional Pistol that prohibits you from loading magazines prior to the load command. There is a rule prohibiting your placement of the loaded magazine in the firearm prior to the Load command. As for revolvers, you must wait until the Load command to place any rounds into the cylinder.

That being said, the shooters should load their magazines prior to scoring/target changing. That way when they return from downrange, they can easily prepare for the next string(s) of fire.

As to commands, once the Load command is issued, you should listen and observe that all shooters are ready to fire, or about 3-5 seconds. If there is a delay, I suggest "Stand easy shooters" be used to relax everyone until the delay is remedied. At that time, something like, "The command to load has been given" can be used to bring all shooters back to the following commands.

Take Care,
Ed Hall
US Air Force Competitive Shooting
Bullseye (and International) Competition Things
plinker

Post by plinker »

Thanks Ed!

I think you understood my question perfectly, even though I probably didn't state it very well. You gave me exactly the information I needed! Thanks again!