S&W M-41.... Fed 510's vs CCI SV

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

bebloomster

S&W M-41.... Fed 510's vs CCI SV

Post by bebloomster »

I'm finally getting a S&W Model 41 again, a mid-90's version with the 7" barrel. Will be transferring my beloved UltraDot MatchDot sight to it and found a set of Morini grips in what looks to be excellent condition.

In a bit of a quandry as far as ammo though. Have 5 bricks of CCI SV and 9 bricks of Federal 510's. The weekly Indoor Rimfire Bullseye Pistol League eats up about a brick a month so I should be good until atleast Autumn. Will then be restocking whichever ammo performs best for me. I've read conflicting opinions though on whether or not to drop in one of those poly-buffers when using the Federal 510's.

Is the buffer really necessary or just a nice to have thing? About how long to they last before having to be replaced?
Rover

Post by Rover »

I've found my M41 getting fussy about ammo in its old age. It used to like Winchester T22 and Eley Club, but now it seems to be accurate and reliable only with CCI SV.

When you get your gun, test it with the ammo you have and you may not need to worry about the buffer.

I have no opinion about the buffer except that I never saw the need for it.
joseywales

Post by joseywales »

I don't know about the buffers.

I have had many say the CCI SV are the way to go. My 41 has eaten all four brands I've thrown at it. Just can't find any CCI SV locally. The Remington Gold have worked well for me so far.
bebloomster

Post by bebloomster »

Fortunately I have a reasonable supply of CCI SV on hand (another case being delivered this week). My Model 41 has a definite preference for it.
joseywales

Post by joseywales »

I'd happily buy a case, if I could just try a box first. I'm off today, so I'll scour the local shops. It'll turn up. There's always the upcoming Valley Forge show as well.
oldcaster

Post by oldcaster »

Rover said "I've found my M41 getting fussy about ammo in its old age. It used to like Winchester T22 and Eley Club, but now it seems to be accurate and reliable only with CCI SV. "

Rover, have some one check your extractor. The reason CCI S.V.works well in virtually all 41's is because even though they are slower than most S.V. ammo they recoil more sharply. This keeps the extractor from causing problems. A new extractor can just be installed but likely it will need to be tuned to your gun to make it work well. If I remember correctly the smith that fixed mine said that the problem is the empty coming out ejects early off of the next round coming up from the magazine not getting to the ejector. Apparently this is a stamped item and needs to be shaped. I only realized this when my extractor broke and I brought it to him to replace it. After he fixed it I can shoot virtually all ammo and before it was just CCI S.V. or high velocity type.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Thanks for the advice. I'll keep it in mind for future use (maybe soon).

I replaced the slide (cracked) and sent the gun to S&W for an overhaul (I've been shooting it for over 30years).

When it came back it shot the CCI SV perfectly and accurately in my long barrel, but not sufficiently accurately in my short barrel, which has always been less accurate. The other two brands I tried in it didn't function reliably, so I'm acquiring some other stuff to try in the Ransom Rest.
Visitor

Post by Visitor »

I've shot my 41 approaching 20K rounds - 99% has been CCI SV - I put a buffer in about 5K rounds ago and in total I might have had 5 malfunctions in the 20 k rounds.
The buffer is cheap and hasn't affected my gun's relibility.

Buffer Technologies has the buffer.