45 brass question

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

slavetoturf

45 brass question

Post by slavetoturf »

I have been loading with a batch of 500 mixed head stamp brass for the past two years and only recently noticed that I can sort them into three distinct classes based on the size of the flash hole. One class has a huge opening and they are relatively few in number, the remaining brass falls somewhat evenly between those with what I will call a medium and small flash hole. These are very distinct groups and therefore not the result of erosion due to usage. Has anyone had better results with one or the other of these sizes? I do not recall reading anything about this variation before and am looking for any information anyone can share.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Good question!

I personally would shoot the large flashhole brass and leave it on the ground. The remainder I would uniform with a drill....probably in front of the tube with a beer.

I'm not sure it really matters, though.
oldcaster

Post by oldcaster »

Check on the Magnus bullet site and you will see that they get fine accuracy with their bullets and it is done with mixed brass. A few shooters in our bullseye group will use only the same kind of brass because they aren't willing to take the chance that it might not be as good. They will also use only jacketed bullets at 50 yard slow fire. A couple of these guys are ranked in the top 20 in the nation though. However, those of us who work at it can and do get around 2 inches ,10 shot groups at 50 with lead and mixed brass. The size and shape of bullet is way more important than all other factors not counting the gun when it comes to accuracy. Also a good gun will make very much more difference in accuracy than mixed brass could ever hope to. Do not throw your brass with the big primer holes out unless you throw them towards me.