Open (iron) vs Dot Sights & Indoor 50' Rimfire Gallery M

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

Mass Shooter

Open (iron) vs Dot Sights & Indoor 50' Rimfire Gallery M

Post by Mass Shooter »

We have only a couple shooters who compete using iron sights in our indoor 50' b/e rimfire gallery match league. Our league comprises of ~60 competitors, however 98% (including myself) shoot with a dot sight.

Traveling home from the match the thought entered my mind on those who shoot with iron sights.

Would you agree that scores are found to be higher with competitors using dot sights over those using iron sights? or perhaps differently phrased can a open sight competitor reach out and shoot 280-290 scores? ..... I'm strictly speaking .22 rimfire 50' gallery match course.

Anybody B/E (Gallery Match Course) competitors shooting master or high-master scores with iron sights?

Your thoughts?

M.S.
RMinUT

maybe they are chasing different goals than you??

Post by RMinUT »

I regularly shoot 280+ with irons. I shoot irons for a reason, achieving AA level in Int'l events. yes, I can shoot more consistent high scores with dots but I choose to shoot irons at different times in order to achieve certain goals.
It's not always about shooting the top score in a league match. I consider a league match nothing more than a practice session for more important upcoming state matches. I use it to focus on certain areas and could really care less about the score.

I think there are far too many people that jump on the dot sight just to see increases in score but miss some finer technical skills that are developed with iron sights.

Cheers,
Robert
Ed Hall

Post by Ed Hall »

I have shot 290+ scores with iron sights on the 50 ft targets with my 208s. I even have a 10x Rapid Fire example in my gunbox. I actually believe that the iron sights are more precise. The issue is whether your eyesight (adjusted, if necessary) is good enough to make use of that precision. If the open sights are fuzzy or dim, you are better off with something you can see well.

Take Care,
Ed Hall
Air Force Shooting Homepage
Bullseye (and International) Competition Things
bebloomster

Post by bebloomster »

My 63 year old eyes definitely prefer a dot sight... irons are just too hard to focus well.
jackh

Post by jackh »

With ideal vision, corrected maybe, and ideal lighting, irons are very precise. I would not be surprised at the scarcity of well lighted gallery ranges. Don't forget mental.