cold weather

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

harvester

cold weather

Post by harvester »

I travel 30 miles to work. Then like to shoot at the range. Cant take my stuff into work so it sits in the car. It is cold out. can get down to zero.

Is it a big deal that the guns are cold?? Any thoughts on keeping them warm in the car.
Rover

Post by Rover »

It's only a problem if you're taking them into a warm place where water vapor will condense on them. If you "baggie" the gun and warm it on a radiator before removing it you'll be fine.

Your ammo may produce a little less velocity and sometimes reduce reliability of .22 semi-autos.
clark2245

Re: cold weather

Post by clark2245 »

harvester wrote:I travel 30 miles to work. Then like to shoot at the range. Cant take my stuff into work so it sits in the car. It is cold out. can get down to zero.

Is it a big deal that the guns are cold?? Any thoughts on keeping them warm in the car.
The main problem you may encounter is reduced function reliability while shooting. The cold can cause many oils to thicken so a very thin oil on the gun would be good or perhaps a synthetic that won't thicken. The ammo will probably produce less power as many powders are temperature sensitive so warming it up first may help. One thing I've seen done is to put the loaded mags into a pocket to warm them or even the box of ammo in an interior pocket before using it. If you do have any problems you can try some or all of these to see what helps. Good luck.

Clark