Ammo for Colt .45

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

Tobyrex

Ammo for Colt .45

Post by Tobyrex »

I just purchased a Clark Custom Colt .45 1911 with a 6" barrel. I'm planning on using it for Bullseye competition. Not Hardball. What kind of ammo would be recommended? Does it need to be jacketed? Where is a good place to get it?
echosierra3

Post by echosierra3 »

Atlanta Arms And Ammo is what the AMU uses, check out their site
clark2245

Re: Ammo for Colt .45

Post by clark2245 »

Tobyrex wrote:I just purchased a Clark Custom Colt .45 1911 with a 6" barrel. I'm planning on using it for Bullseye competition. Not Hardball. What kind of ammo would be recommended? Does it need to be jacketed? Where is a good place to get it?
No need for jacketed ammo and in fact most of us shoot lead bullets. Whether to use cast or swaged lead bullets is one of the questions that generates some discussion however. As mentioned above Atlanta Arms makes some high quality ammo but it is not cheap and often in short supply. The Federal match ammo was long the standard but if you can find it the price will be high.

Among choices for loaded ammo one perhaps more reasonable choice is that from Neil at www.nsksales.com . He is a bullseye shooter and commercial reloader who produces some ammo specifically for bullseye use. Call and talk to Neil about the choices but just allow plenty of time when you do as he usually will go into great detail about things.

If you are not set up to load your own yet you will probably want to if you are going to be shooting much. The cost savings will pay for the reloading equipment before long. Which press to get along with the bullet and powder choices are things that also generate a lot of discussion and are best dealt with later when you get ready. Good luck and welcome to the sport.

Clark
Misny

Post by Misny »

I highly recommend Zero ammo. It is of first class quality and you can buy it new or re-manufactured. Check it out at www.rozedist.com. I recommend the 200 gr. SWC and if you have saved some .45 ACP brass, you can get the best deal by exchanging your brass for their ammo. Jim Collins, a championship pistol shooter, tests their ammo and bullets. I've seen some impressive test groups that he had on display at Camp Perry. All the folks I've dealt with from Zero over the years are a fine bunch of folks.

If you are like the rest of us you will eventually want to start reloading. You can't do better than buying Zero bullets for reloading. I don't have any connection with the company other than a satisfied customer.
Tobyrex

Ammo for Colt .45

Post by Tobyrex »

Thanks for all the good info.
oldcaster

Post by oldcaster »

Misny is correct about Zero bullets and add Magnus to that list. Both manufacturers have swaged bullets which are excellent. While some cast are OK ---if you want really good cast bullets you have to make them yourself.