scope choice

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

bobshay

scope choice

Post by bobshay »

I have been using a Match dot for two years. I dont like the dots irregular shape.Considering 1x burris long eye relief with duplex . It seems everyone is using the red dots. Would like advice I am 50 years old
clark2245

Re: scope choice

Post by clark2245 »

bobshay wrote:I have been using a Match dot for two years. I dont like the dots irregular shape.Considering 1x burris long eye relief with duplex . It seems everyone is using the red dots. Would like advice I am 50 years old
This is a not uncommon question and the first thing to check before you buy a new sight is how good your eyes / glasses are. If your vision is not pretty good you will get some distortion of the dot usually described as making it look like a comma. The dot itself being irregular in shape is evidently quite rare but there are a couple of ways to check. First take the dot sight and look though it. Then roll it around the lengthwise axis in your hands and see if the irregular shape rotates also or stays more or less the same.

A second way is to take a digital camera and aim it though the dot sight and see what the dot looks like on the screen on the back of the camera. It should show up as round which confirms there is not a problem with the dot sight itself.

Clark
sciguy191

Post by sciguy191 »

bobshay wrote:I have been using a Match dot for two years. I dont like the dots irregular shape.Considering 1x burris long eye relief with duplex . It seems everyone is using the red dots. Would like advice I am 50 years old
I just converted from shooting pistol right handed and with my left dominant eye to right handed right eyed. My comma shaped ultra dot instantly became perfectly round:) Apparently my left eyes astigmatism isn't fully corrected by my glasses. I'm 5 years older than you at this time.

Hugh
tenex

Post by tenex »

Hi Bob,
I had a Tasco red dot that had a funny shaped dot when viewed with one eye, but quite round with the other. I think it's the nature of the beast. I currently use a 1" ultradot, and if I wear my glasses it looks ok, but with my contact lenses it's not so hot (same prescription, dim indoor range).

I had a Bushnel Phantom 1x pistol scope, and it worked just fine. The only drawback was that it was a bit heavy, and the image wobbled a bit (not quite 1x magnification). Due to the simpler optical design of the red dot, the image of the target doesn't move in space and it a little easier to look at.

If the irregular dot really bugs you, you could try an aperture. I use one for iron sights, and closed down a bit it helps the dot stay round.

Good luck,
Steve.
golfer47

Post by golfer47 »

Thanks for the info., I also was wondering why the red dot was not round.I thought it was the scope. Now I know it is my old eyes.